1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 17:11
    Originally posted by Black Star Uchess
    Was reading a bit about electric cars: found a UK company 'Smith' that makes electric vans,

It seems they only sell in scenario's where they can be re charged easily; city n delivery
    vehicles. guess this is obvious. but is it possible to make ones that have a long range?.

was wondering. very basically. If you covered a car in solar panels ...[text shortened]... d a small petrol base generator. howlong could it stay running.. using affordable technology?
    Check out a company named EESTOR

All your questions will be answered.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 22:17
    Originally posted by uzless
    Check out a company named EESTOR

All your questions will be answered.
    30 Farads at 3500 volts? I'll believe that when I see it. Most ultracaps today have a breakdown of more like 2 volts. It would be incredible if true but that Wiki was several years old and I don't see any 2009 references. Maybe they went belly up.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 12:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    30 Farads at 3500 volts? I'll believe that when I see it. Most ultracaps today have a breakdown of more like 2 volts. It would be incredible if true but that Wiki was several years old and I don't see any 2009 references. Maybe they went belly up.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEStor

That has 2009 references and claims that various companies have invested in EEStor or made business deals with them. It still seems very secretive though.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 21:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEStor

That has 2009 references and claims that various companies have invested in EEStor or made business deals with them. It still seems very secretive though.
    As in, bilking the public before the real capacitor stands up and shows itself to short out at 10 volts?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 06:18
    As in, bilking the public before the real capacitor stands up and shows itself to short out at 10 volts?
    I don't know what the motive would be as they are not a public company as far as I know and the companies that have invested in them claim to have done their own independent inspections to verify the validity of the claims. They claim they will have products out this year or next year, so lets just wait and see. I wouldn't invest in them though without more solid information.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 19:43
    Not at all. Moving into the pre-production phase with release in Q4 of this year.

They have been a highly secretive company and have top notch investors (lockhead martin, Smith-Perkins) so no one knows for sure if the tech is going to work but understand this is NOT new technology. It's the manufacturing process that is new that allows the physics to work.

Go to news.google.com and look up EESTOR for the last announcements a few days ago.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewarticle/articleid/3375689
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 19:44
    They are not a public company. private owned with a tonne of venture capital injected.
  8. London
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 16:32
    Originally posted by Black Star Uchess
    cool thx

might work somewhere hot i guess ... my simple maths came up with a solar panel the size of a large tent ...
    The area required for a vehicle would have to be large at present efficiencies, the wing span of Solar Impulse is pretty wide.

http://www.solarimpulse.com/

I'm looking forward to the attempt.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:29
    Originally posted by jonevery
    The area required for a vehicle would have to be large at present efficiencies, the wing span of Solar Impulse is pretty wide.

http://www.solarimpulse.com/

I'm looking forward to the attempt.
    Aren't you jumping subjects here? The link you provided is for a solar powered AIRCRAFT. We had been talking about electric powered cars and solar assist.

It's still a great achievement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree