11 Jul '12 18:55
    http://phys.org/news/2012-07-hubble-space-telescope-moon-pluto.html
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 13:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2012-07-hubble-space-telescope-moon-pluto.html
    I do wonder how many of these are proper moons, and how many are pseudo-moons. It does make a difference when considering the question of the origin of Pluto (or even the solar system as a whole).

Richard
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 18:353 edits
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I do wonder how many of these are proper moons, and how many are pseudo-moons. It does make a difference when considering the question of the origin of Pluto (or even the solar system as a whole).

Richard
    -sorry, mispost. Anyone; how does one delete a post made by accident? I haven't worked that out yet.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 19:59

Richard
    What do you mean by pseudo moon? If it a pile of rock a mile or two in diameter, couple of Km, it is a pretty big rock, the size of a respectable mountain. What do you mean by pseudo? Humy, I think you have to ask a mod to remove a post. Don't quote me on that however🙂
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 20:20

Richard
    As with the term "planet," I think a more rigorous definition for what constitutes a "moon" is in order. Once we get down to the size of a double-wide trailer it's not a moon.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 20:21
    Originally posted by humy
    -sorry, mispost. Anyone; how does one delete a post made by accident? I haven't worked that out yet.
    Edit the post by inserting an F-bomb. The nanny-filter will delete it forthwith.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 20:48
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    As with the term "planet," I think a more rigorous definition for what constitutes a "moon" is in order. Once we get down to the size of a double-wide trailer it's not a moon.
    The ones they just discovered are miles across so we haven't hit SUV size yet🙂
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 20:58

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 21:04

10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 21:131 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Edit the post by inserting an F-bomb. The nanny-filter will delete it forthwith.
    I just tested that with my post here.
    I first posted "you mean " without the F-bomb to simulate an accidental post and then tried to re-edit it just by appending the f-bomb to that and the nanny-filter deleted the re-edited version but not the original which stayed put so unfortunately that wouldn't have worked. Nice try though.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 21:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What do you mean by pseudo moon? If it a pile of rock a mile or two in diameter, couple of Km, it is a pretty big rock, the size of a respectable mountain. What do you mean by pseudo? Humy, I think you have to ask a mod to remove a post. Don't quote me on that however🙂
    Not sure but I think he means a rock or object that is mistakenly assumed to be orbiting a planet because it is seen very close to it but is in fact orbiting the sun or just passing the planet by and is not in a stable orbit around the planet.
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Jul '12 02:47
    Originally posted by humy
    I just tested that with my post here.
    I first posted "you mean " without the F-bomb to simulate an accidental post and then tried to re-edit it just by appending the f-bomb to that and the nanny-filter deleted the re-edited version but not the original which stayed put so unfortunately that wouldn't have worked. Nice try though.
    Ah. I now seem to recall that in the early days I had to repeat the process two or three times before the filter simply deleted the post for good, but then there came a point when just one go would turn the trick forever after. It works for me. I've done it dozens of times. But I guess you have to piss the nanny off first.

If you still have no success I shall submit another theory.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Jul '12 02:49

14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Jul '12 02:49
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    This is just a test.
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Jul '12 02:511 edit
    Okay, so, I had a third post inserted between the two above, which I had quoted in the post below it. I F-bombed it, and it's gone. The nanny knows I'm a naughty boy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree