1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Oct '13 20:10
    http://phys.org/news/2013-10-material-visible-infinite-wavelength.html#ajTabs

Not sure exactly what this means, anyone have an idea what infinite wavelength means?

And why it would be useful? Isn't infinite wavelength just another way of saying DC?
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 10:141 edit
    I had previously read that link before you made the OP and I am afraid I was just us puzzled as you were and also wondered exactly what “infinite wavelength” physically means in this context.
    A photon is an oscillation of electric and magnetic fields where each generates the other through space. If a photon has infinite wavelength, then those electric and magnetic fields no longer oscillate and the implications of that are ....?
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Oct '13 19:49
    Sounds like a bunch of goddamn nonsense to me.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    28 Oct '13 20:44
    Sometimes physicists try to use flashy language to make their work seem more interesting. You find something that is kind of related to phenomenon X? Just name it super-X!
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Oct '13 03:22
    Infinite wavelength implies zero energy doesn't it?
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Oct '13 08:24
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Infinite wavelength implies zero energy doesn't it?
    This is certainly true for a photon moving through a vacuum. In fact, a photon moving through a vacuum with infinite wavelength technically doesn't exist. However, in the link in the OP, the context was an existing photon moving through a metamaterial so not sure what that implies in that context.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree