1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    06 Aug '16 09:45
    http://phys.org/news/2016-08-discovery-yields-self-healing-diamond-like-carbon.html

    I want this stuff in my engine NOW!
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    06 Aug '16 10:451 edit
    Funny how they talk about it like it should be used in car engines.
    Fossil fuel engines are old school.
    Most countries plan to move to electric within the next 10 to 20 years.
    Of course we still need lubrication in electric cars, so it may still be useful - although it appears to require high heat and pressure.

    I recall seeing adverts for a super oil many years ago that the makers claimed you could put in your engine then drain the oil and it would still work. I wonder what happened to that one.

    By the way, have you ordered a Tesla model 3 yet?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    07 Aug '16 03:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Funny how they talk about it like it should be used in car engines.
    Fossil fuel engines are old school.
    Most countries plan to move to electric within the next 10 to 20 years.
    Of course we still need lubrication in electric cars, so it may still be useful - although it appears to require high heat and pressure.

    I recall seeing adverts for a super oi ...[text shortened]... l work. I wonder what happened to that one.

    By the way, have you ordered a Tesla model 3 yet?
    I wish. I am having great difficulty keeping up with bills now. My commute is about 250 klicks a day round trip and I don't think they can manage that kind of range month after month, I think the battery lifespan will kill that, when I drive about 80,000 km a year.

    But electric motors would benefit from this lube also. The ones now have a lifespan of about 160,000 km and I have over 200K now on my gasoline car.
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    07 Aug '16 07:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I wish. I am having great difficulty keeping up with bills now. My commute is about 250 klicks a day round trip and I don't think they can manage that kind of range month after month,
    Are you just guessing or are you basing that on a particular source? If so, what source?

    I think the battery lifespan will kill that, when I drive about 80,000 km a year.

    But electric motors would benefit from this lube also. The ones now have a lifespan of about 160,000 km and I have over 200K now on my gasoline car.
    Source?
  5. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    07 Aug '16 07:271 edit
    A Tesla will probably save you money in the long term although I can be sure with the US. In the UK where fuel is pricey, even the current expensive Tesla works out cheaper than a gas guzzler.

    For you, the biggest benefit is the self driving.
  6. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    07 Aug '16 13:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The ones now have a lifespan of about 160,000 km and I have over 200K now on my gasoline car.
    Not a lot has been published about the Model S, but I believe current Model S's come with an 8 year guarantee on the motor and unlimited miles.

    http://www.treehugger.com/cars/electric-motor-lasts-1000000-miles-tesla-working-it.html
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Joined
    03 Apr '03
    Moves
    140342
    09 Aug '16 06:19
    Redline or Royal Purple high quality oil for gas ( petrol ) engines .....I hear after the VW TDI scandal VW is going to pursue electric cars to compete with Tesla


    Manny
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    09 Aug '16 09:03
    Originally posted by menace71
    Redline or Royal Purple high quality oil for gas ( petrol ) engines .....I hear after the VW TDI scandal VW is going to pursue electric cars to compete with Tesla

    Manny
    Right now there is no need to compete with Tesla. The demand for good electric cars exceeds supply. Tesla is actually one of the smallest companies in the electric car business.
    With many countries planning to go all electric, the market will remain large for some time to come.
    Norway for example wants all new cars in 2025 to be zero emission vehicles, and the UK has the same plan by 2050.

    Currently the Nissan Leaf is the best selling electric car having sold over 200,000 units. (the Tesla Model S has sold 129,000 units).

    Currently only about 0.1% of cars are electric

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car_use_by_country
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    09 Aug '16 19:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Right now there is no need to compete with Tesla. The demand for good electric cars exceeds supply. Tesla is actually one of the smallest companies in the electric car business.
    With many countries planning to go all electric, the market will remain large for some time to come.
    Norway for example wants all new cars in 2025 to be zero emission vehicles, ...[text shortened]... nly about 0.1% of cars are electric

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car_use_by_country
    Nissan Leaf starts at 29K and up to 36K depending on goodies. The range is still a bit shy of my needs right now anyway. Just to go downtown would be one thing but for a commute car of my long commute, I don't think the battery would last long enough to be worthwhile and would have to charge up after getting to work just to get home.

    I can't afford 30K for ANYTHING right now so it is a moot point for me ATT.
Back to Top