1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    08 Sep '09 12:01
    Solar panels embedded into roadways could produce more energy than anyone could use and allow for electric vehicles to be continuously charged while driving! Here is the link:

    http://www.physorg.com/news171545860.html
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    09 Sep '09 00:44
    Me likey...but it seems vulnerable to vandals.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    09 Sep '09 00:48
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Me likey...but it seems vulnerable to vandals.
    Well, you just stake cops out every quarter klik🙂
  4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    09 Sep '09 01:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Solar panels embedded into roadways could produce more energy than anyone could use and allow for electric vehicles to be continuously charged while driving! Here is the link:

    http://www.physorg.com/news171545860.html
    I think the idea is great. I don't like the cost of a panel but the idea is sound. They could have charge stations for electric cars every few miles and charge enough money to pay for the system and maintenance.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    09 Sep '09 07:18
    One advantage with asphalt is the high index of friction.
    The colar cell coating, I guess, has a lower friction index.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    10 Sep '09 15:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    One advantage with asphalt is the high index of friction.
    The colar cell coating, I guess, has a lower friction index.
    I am thinking what in reality will be used is a method of converting solar heat to electricity, maybe not as efficient as PV cells but the converters could be buried in the asphalt and use the heat generated and still get the friction benefits of asphalt and be nearly indestructible.
    Heat conversion to electricity is already known and newer methods have already increased the conversion efficiency.
  7. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Joined
    02 Dec '08
    Moves
    27516
    10 Sep '09 23:32
    Why roads, I wonder. And not something less prone to daily physical pounding like the roofs of
    buildings. I understand there are more square miles of roads than roofs, thus giving max
    exposure to sun...but it just seems like our roads are too damage prone (not that roofs are free
    of abuse). I'd be interested to see how tough these panels were and how long they'd last before
    needing to be replaced. Hmmmm.

    I love the imagination of it though, and the other technologies like animal sensors, etc.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    10 Sep '09 23:43
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    Why roads, I wonder. And not something less prone to daily physical pounding like the roofs of
    buildings. I understand there are more square miles of roads than roofs, thus giving max
    exposure to sun...but it just seems like our roads are too damage prone (not that roofs are free
    of abuse). I'd be interested to see how tough these panels wer ...[text shortened]... .

    I love the imagination of it though, and the other technologies like animal sensors, etc.
    There is one experiment in California where they are putting up PV's on the side of the roadways, much the same thing, in that they use the same wasted space just not the road itself, standard cell assemblies. No wear from cars and trucks, except for the occasional runaway truck....
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    11 Sep '09 02:23
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    Why roads, I wonder. And not something less prone to daily physical pounding like the roofs of
    buildings. I understand there are more square miles of roads than roofs, thus giving max
    exposure to sun...but it just seems like our roads are too damage prone (not that roofs are free
    of abuse). I'd be interested to see how tough these panels wer ...[text shortened]... .

    I love the imagination of it though, and the other technologies like animal sensors, etc.
    Both!!!
  10. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    08 Oct '09 03:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Solar panels embedded into roadways could produce more energy than anyone could use and allow for electric vehicles to be continuously charged while driving! Here is the link:

    http://www.physorg.com/news171545860.html
    how come the roof and hood of a car aren't made of solar panels?
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    08 Oct '09 11:16
    Originally posted by uzless
    how come the roof and hood of a car aren't made of solar panels?
    There wouldn't be enough area to convert enough solar energy on something that small.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    08 Oct '09 15:15
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    There wouldn't be enough area to convert enough solar energy on something that small.
    Actually, there is a development in solar cells: Solar paint, where the paint job generates electricity. Although it would not go far to power a moving vehicle, it is clear if you park in the sun and go to work, after 8 or so hours of direct sunlight, you can have a significant increase in the mileage of a hybrid vehicle. So it is a technology that well deserves attention.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    15 Oct '09 03:201 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Actually, there is a development in solar cells: Solar paint, where the paint job generates electricity. Although it would not go far to power a moving vehicle, it is clear if you park in the sun and go to work, after 8 or so hours of direct sunlight, you can have a significant increase in the mileage of a hybrid vehicle. So it is a technology that well deserves attention.
    I always thought a mini windmill on the front of cars would be an easy way to produce electricity...you might increae a bit of drag but the lower fuel usage might mean a net gain
  14. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    15 Oct '09 06:05
    Originally posted by uzless
    I always thought a mini windmill on the front of cars would be an easy way to produce electricity...you might increae a bit of drag but the lower fuel usage might mean a net gain
    You would have a net loss. The extra drag would be greater than the extra charge. Otherwise some bright engineer would have invented a perpetual motion machine in which a windmill powers itself along in order to generate the wind to turn itself - obviously doing it in water would work even better. You put one propeller on the front which drives a turbine which charges the battery which drives the motor which powers the propeller on the back. Do you see the problem?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    16 Oct '09 19:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You would have a net loss. The extra drag would be greater than the extra charge. Otherwise some bright engineer would have invented a perpetual motion machine in which a windmill powers itself along in order to generate the wind to turn itself - obviously doing it in water would work even better. You put one propeller on the front which drives a turbine ...[text shortened]... e battery which drives the motor which powers the propeller on the back. Do you see the problem?
    One thing some MIT students developed is a way to get free energy from driving: electromagnetic shocks instead of pneumatic ones. There is a fluid that drives a small turbine hooked to a generator and they found it works better than the old shocks and produces as much as a kilowatt basically for free. There are now designs afoot eliminating the alternator and just recharging batteries, etc., by just the energy generated by the shocks!
Back to Top