1. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    28 May '08 18:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    How about Jesus and Mohammed appear upon the collision and then do an Irish jig together?
    Not a moment too late I might add. It's about time they put their bags
    together. Create a tie between them. You know? A jigtie?
  2. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    28 May '08 18:431 edit
    Originally posted by scherzo
    [...]The Starship Enterprise[...] Anything going faster than light would warp the spacetime continuum, thus altering the "personal time" experienced by the object.
    πŸ™‚

That's warp speed, right?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jun '08 18:241 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I watched "Jose Magueijo's Big Bang" last night on one of the science channels, and learned that this Variable Spped of Light theory is an alternative to something called Inflation theory. It seems that both are trying to address a "fatal flaw" in the Big Bang theory. As I understand it, all the stuff in the universe should be randomly distributed as a r watched the Twilight Zone; it was the one where Mickey Rooney played a jockey..... πŸ™„
    I think there are experiments from astronomy that shows the speed of light back near the BB was very close to today. I will have to google it to find out exactly but the idea of the variable C is to take in to account the era of super fast inflation right after the BB, which is a theory but with a lot of evidence supporting it.
    Here is a wiki link, its a bit long but the one in question is the last piece, "variable speed of light cosmology". That''s just a 50 cent tour though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 03:221 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If a photon is moving away from me at velocity C then am I not moving away from it at velocity C or is that not the case because of the time dilation experienced by the photon?
    For a photon time stands still. There is no motion to a photon due to the aforementioned time dilation.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 03:23
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    Not a moment too late I might add. It's about time they put their bags
    together. Create a tie between them. You know? A jigtie?
    You want them to tie their bags together? πŸ˜•
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 08:311 edit
    For a photon time stands still. There is no motion to a photon due to the aforementioned time dilation.
    But that means that from the photons perspective my velocity relative to it exceeds C. In fact if the photons time stands still then my velocity is infinite!

Also, if I am moving away from the photon at speed C relative to the photon, why does my time not dilate too?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 19:11
    But that means that from the photons perspective my velocity relative to it exceeds C. In fact if the photons time stands still then my velocity is infinite!

Also, if I am moving away from the photon at speed C relative to the photon, why does my time not dilate too?
    If you are moving at C with respect to a photon, it means you have no mass, its that simple. You have mass, therefore you cannot go at C. Its like trying to swim through molassas.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 20:47
    we can blame string theory for occupying all the physicists at least that is what the book I'm reading says...lol
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 07:19
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    we can blame string theory for occupying all the physicists at least that is what the book I'm reading says...lol
    Would that book be 'The Trouble With Physics' by Lee Smolin by any chance?
    He rips and snorts against string theory that it doesn't make predictions and complains it is taking away resources from other work.
    I think he is a bit premature, look at the time it took to go from Newton to Einstein.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 07:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If you are moving at C with respect to a photon, it means you have no mass, its that simple. You have mass, therefore you cannot go at C. Its like trying to swim through molassas.
    I thought everything was relative, so if the photon is moving away from me at C then I am moving away from it at C.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 07:341 edit
    I thought everything was relative, so if the photon is moving away from me at C then I am moving away from it at C.
    A photon will move away from you at C regardless of your velocity.
    If you are going backwards away from the photon in question at 0.9999C, the photon is still going away from you at C, not 1.999C, those velocities don't just add together.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 07:39

No, it means that from the photon's perspective nothing moves at all since there's no such thing as time.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 08:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Would that book be 'The Trouble With Physics' by Lee Smolin by any chance?
    He rips and snorts against string theory that it doesn't make predictions and complains it is taking away resources from other work.
    I think he is a bit premature, look at the time it took to go from Newton to Einstein.
    Right on he moneyπŸ˜•
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 09:59
    No, it means that from the photon's perspective nothing moves at all since there's no such thing as time.
    Surely it in fact means that I moved a great distance in no time at all?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree