1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    06 Jun '13 09:561 edit
    I don't want this to slip into... computers are powerful, anything is possible with computers etc etc

No - we are talking about a fairly simple code / app - just the kind banks use every day against card fraud - to identify the 'Tree' of STD infections.

Here is a tree just for the point
    http://thought-bricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/tree-clipart-41.jpg

Imagine with this code the tree is the disease, the branches those infected, and the leaves, the code getting it wrong sending people who are not infected for tests - say it can manage a 30% hit rate (in a bank that would be acceptable)

This is quite possible with facebook / smartphones - the only question is do you want it?

In Scotland I can see people building something like this quite soon. In England I can see them using words like 'fascist' and just getting rather itchy instead . well your choice....
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jun '13 10:16
    Originally posted by e4chris
    its all possible with facebook and smart phones yes, people just need to wake up to it.

I think people in the phone industry don't get them yet. in the 90s we paid £2500 for a pc with a 286 processor - a smartphone is 1-2ghz already right now. In the 80s that sort of computer would be running a bank. With HIV its not that it could spot all those infected, more crunch through it in a few seconds then do hep-c. quite possible. do you want it to?
    The cell phone is changing the way people think, cooperate and such. We are getting smarter, living smarter, than ever before because of the collaborative use of this technology. Your idea is just one more example of how people can live smarter.
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 06:511 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The cell phone is changing the way people think, cooperate and such. We are getting smarter, living smarter, than ever before because of the collaborative use of this technology. Your idea is just one more example of how people can live smarter.
    Building an STD tracker 'app' could be a nice little earner for someone -

there's lots of charities working with STDs but this does not need to be charity - you could run a profitable business with this idea.
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 08:01
    does it vex anyone that we have these ridiculous '1 tip of a flat belly' ads on here.

But something like this that can easily save millions and is NOT hard to make. Has NOT been made yet...

I do smell a rat there. But If no one has made an std tracker in Scotland in the next couple of years I will build one! it will be crap in the hope a pro takes over the idea but I will build it.

There are diabolical consequences of getting multiple stds when we don't need to have them at all.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 15:09
    does it vex anyone that we have these ridiculous '1 tip of a flat belly' ads on here.

But something like this that can easily save millions and is NOT hard to make. Has NOT been made yet...

I do smell a rat there. But If no one has made an std tracker in Scotland in the next couple of years I will build one! it will be crap in the hope a pro takes over ...[text shortened]... are diabolical consequences of getting multiple stds when we don't need to have them at all.
    This sounds like an informational problem, a database thing, not a hardware issue, if I have it right. You don't need to build it. Ah, you mean the software. Ok, you would have to build that.
  6. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 17:311 edit
    why? because its right under your nose and quite possible??

I'd like to know why its not happening frankly, perhaps you have a very out dated view of whats possible.

http://www.google.org/flutrends/
    It's not about whether it's possible or not.

You have an very outdated view of people's rights.

Why just HIV? How about cigarette smokers (second-hand smoke is dangerous), people who drink (their addresses would be useful to avoid the areas they might drive drunk), NRA/gun owners, so you can live somewhere else instead of worrying you or your kids might be the victim of an angry neighbor (especially if he drinks).

It's interesting you chose HIV.

You remind me of my brother, who thinks we shouldn't spend time and money helping those with HIV/AIDS because they 'chose' to get infected. I pointed out to him that he drinks and smokes. Should we not help drinkers and smokers if they get lung cancer, kidney disease, or are involved in a DUI acccident? They chose to drink and smoke, right? Besides, if you're going to have sex with someone knowing HIV is out there, an argument can be made that you chose to take the risk.

And why stop there? Let's just have everything about everyone in an app...including bigots' addresses so you don't have to live near ignorance and hate.
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 01:201 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    It's not about whether it's possible or not.

You have an very outdated view of people's rights.

Why just HIV? How about cigarette smokers (second-hand smoke is dangerous), people who drink (their addresses would be useful to avoid the areas they might drive drunk), NRA/gun owners, so you can live somewhere else instead of worrying you or your kids app...including bigots' addresses so you don't have to live near ignorance and hate.
    I did not say they chose to be infected definitely not. In the gay scene HIV thrives on people not talking about it. It will be the same for the facebook generation.

I'm telling you HIV can be tracked with Smart phones and / or facebook - I would hope an idiot could see the potential for that. They are perfect for tracking STDs.

A rude person might point out HIV spreads on lies - smartphones don't lie / forget so are more reliable then us. And they are already very Orwellian so don't complain about that!

You can rain on this idea but it is immoral to do so. Only makes me want to build the mk1 even more.
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 14:341 edit
    I can see this happening in Scotland soon and any country that does not want it / can't implement it (in Europe / US) well its there itchy fault.

There's an episode of the simpsons where homer is trying to get rid of a trampoline, no one will have it, until he figures out to put I bike lock on it and its stolen in a few seconds. In a more morbid way this is similar, the risk is no one taking it up.

I'm serious that Scotland could do it, Holland could, Luxemburg easily, these are small 'manageable' countries in a way. I'm not sure about England just its big, complex - people would have to buy into it via facebook probably for it to work well. A phone app could work for most STDs, HIV, hepatitis, herpes. For me I see it as a country specific business(s) rather then some 'global charity' thing - that would fail. I think this idea would as a...

Charity - not work

App - might work - this gives the user more control of there data.

Bad Company!! if ever there was a way to make money from unsolicited text messages, which seem to be legal in the UK - This is it. and if it worked you could see 'viral' growth for the first few months...

That's what I see...
  9. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 07:422 edits
    I could make a crap sales based version and I would make money of it being inaccurate not accurate. But I hope someone builds an app soon.

I think it would work best on one country - eg an app for Scotland , also you could have rival apps, does not need to be just one...

maybe not quite relevant - more to Edward Snowden but this is true of HIV / Hepatitis too....
    YouTube

You want the truth?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree