This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 May '19 15:51
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yeah, although this is not all that new. About a decade ago I was doing some freelance work for the BMJ extracting data from medical papers for meta-analysis. There was considerable interest at the time in traditional Chinese medicine treatments they had been investigating using Randomized Controlled Trials. The ones that worked were recommended, the ones that didn't weren't. In some cases the remedy was less effective than the standard Western treatment but had fewer harms and so was recommended when standard treatment was liable not to be tolerated.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 May '19 16:47
    Stop excusing the massacre of endangered species, you wannabe-chinaman.
  4. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    02 May '19 18:11
    Colloidal Silver!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 May '19 18:181 edit

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 May '19 18:232 edits

7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 May '19 10:55
    Sure, but the team had no one who could speak Chinese and so couldn't review Chinese language papers. I honestly cannot remember for sure if there were English language publications of Chinese based research included in the study, but I think there were.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '19 18:16
    @deepthought said
    Yeah, although this is not all that new. About a decade ago I was doing some freelance work for the BMJ extracting data from medical papers for meta-analysis. There was considerable interest at the time in traditional Chinese medicine treatments they had been investigating using Randomized Controlled Trials. The ones that worked were recommended, the ones that didn't w ...[text shortened]... t but had fewer harms and so was recommended when standard treatment was liable not to be tolerated.
    Opinion, experience and judgement was the foundation of medicine until quite recently. Prior to this, there was very little in the form of "translational" science that applied directly to patients. Epidemiology took off 1n the 1960s, but the data is correlative.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree