1. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 04:221 edit
    ...of an aerosol in a can? And how do you measure the flash point?

Anyone?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 09:021 edit
    Send it through a narrow tube and look how long it takes? Something like that. Are there no "visco-meters" or something for this task?

I don't know what a flash point is.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 04:262 edits
    Viscosity: maybe turn it upside down, or maybe 135 degrees so the nozzle is facing down at a 45 degree angle, and measure the time it takes for the mass to shift from one end to the other?

Flash Point: Perhaps use a walk in freezer where you can vary the temperature and do the flamethrower thing with a lighter and the aerosol.
  4. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 03:42
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Flash Point: Perhaps use a walk in freezer where you can vary the temperature and do the flamethrower thing with a lighter and the aerosol.
    Hmm...could work but I don't think the can has a flame arrester on it.
    It could be the last thing I do with that arm.
  5. Joined
    01 Mar '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 18:41
    You'd set up a pressurised capillary for the viscosity and perhaps again at atmospheric pressure but then it's not as interesting.

Flashpoint is not of the gas but of the liquid, pressurised vessel at aerosol pressure with the liquid subcooled and then heated until it flashes off. The experiment would have to be repeated for different pressures.
  6. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 01:33
    Originally posted by mlprior
    Hmm...could work but I don't think the can has a flame arrester on it.
    It could be the last thing I do with that arm.
    You outta get yourself some tinker toys or lincoln logs and get this thing off of your mind.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 21:34
    Originally posted by mortisdead
    You'd set up a pressurised capillary for the viscosity and perhaps again at atmospheric pressure but then it's not as interesting.

Flashpoint is not of the gas but of the liquid, pressurised vessel at aerosol pressure with the liquid subcooled and then heated until it flashes off. The experiment would have to be repeated for different pressures.
    Not only that, but as the liquid evaporates and expands the temperature drops dramatically, so the freezer will not measure the temperature accurately.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree