How Homo Sapiens won over Neanderthals:

How Homo Sapiens won over Neanderthals:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
30 Jul 11
2 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
I've not gone searching for references, but I think it was Eric Trinkaus who first suggested the idea back in the 80s. As I recall there were some finds from the middle-east (Kebara? Skhul? Kafzeh? can't remember, one of those) which didn't really support his theory - pelvic canal size I believe - so it fell from favour. This is unfortunate in my vie ...[text shortened]... out the biology and behaviour of Homo sapiens neanderthalensis to judge one way or the other.
Ok, I thought you were saying Mallers' views were a bit outdated, but not it seems you're saying they are the mainstream, although many disagree. Is that correct?

I agree that a small advantage can be huge in the long-run but the small advantage must be in net population growth terms. Pelvic canal size may indicate larger fecundity but it's definitely not enough because survival rates until reproductive age may be very different. The point is that each species has advantages and disadvantages, so focusing on one and ignoring the others is a bit of a spotlight fallacy (although one extremely common among evolutionary biologists today).

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Jul 11

Originally posted by Palynka
Ok, I thought you were saying Mallers' views were a bit outdated, but not it seems you're saying they are the mainstream, although many disagree.

I agree that a small advantage can be huge in the long-run but the small advantage must be in net population growth terms. Pelvic canal size may indicate larger fecundity but it's definitely not enough because survival rates until reproductive age may be very different.
Ok, I thought you were saying Mallers' views were a bit outdated, but not it seems you're saying they are the mainstream, although many disagree.

Precisely, sorry if I didn't make that clear. The world of archaeology is, like most scientific disciplines, unremittingly conservative.

I agree that a small advantage can be huge in the long-run but the small advantage must be in net population growth terms. Pelvic canal size may indicate larger fecundity but it's definitely not enough because survival rates until reproductive age may be very different.

Granted. It is probably not possible to discern survival rates from the archaeological record for this particular case, however.

In my opinion any explanation which involves cultural or behavioural 'superiority' of one species over the other should be viewed with suspicion until sound archaeological evidence has demonstrated such, and it has not done so thus far.

Moves
31 Jul 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Bushmen + Zulu discipline + Anglo military techniques, mix in a little gangster culture in, you got some impressive people there potentially.
Yeah. It's called Jo'burg, and I wouldn't want to live there.

Richard

w

Moves
01 Aug 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
Simple answer, they outnumbered Neanders about 10 to 1.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-strength.html

That and the more complex set of social behaviors, technology advancements, artistic development and co-operative hunting techniques,
Neanderthals were driven out of the choicest lands in the glacial cold periods and retreated to less viable lan ...[text shortened]... en in a few thousand years after modern humans came storming out of Africa, bye bye neanderthal.
My bad, I thought this was about the new budget deal.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
01 Aug 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
Simple answer, they outnumbered Neanders about 10 to 1.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-strength.html

That and the more complex set of social behaviors, technology advancements, artistic development and co-operative hunting techniques,
Neanderthals were driven out of the choicest lands in the glacial cold periods and retreated to less viable lan ...[text shortened]... en in a few thousand years after modern humans came storming out of Africa, bye bye neanderthal.
They used tools or weapons first. They used huge jawbones to kill the Neanderthals, then worshiped a monolith.😕

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Aug 11
1 edit

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
They used tools or weapons first. They used huge jawbones to kill the Neanderthals, then worshiped a monolith.😕
We mainly out-reproduced them. Something we are good at.

s

Moves
09 Aug 11

Sonhouse, see this link....

http://www.livescience.com/15460-attack-reclusive-amazon-tribe-feared-missing.html

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Aug 11

Originally posted by shahenshah
Sonhouse, see this link....

http://www.livescience.com/15460-attack-reclusive-amazon-tribe-feared-missing.html
I saw that one, sad thing. Drug lord thugs with AK47's. Hope the tribe got some of them.