It is utterly amazing.

YouTube
  2. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 18:252 edits
    What a strange world, this is.

When it reaches the sea floor, why does it stretch out in a single line, rather than spread out?

I was thinking perhaps current, but then I'd have thought the "brynecicle" would have been affected too.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 20:10
    Originally posted by WoodPush
    When it reaches the sea floor, why does it stretch out in a single line, rather than spread out?
    I think current. And the brinicle was affected, but only slightly. Only a tiny current would be necessary to cause the sea floor effect.
  4. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 23:44
    Amazing. Thanks.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 20:122 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I just thought I'd share this with you.
    It is utterly amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMhBuSBemRk
    BLOCKED for Copyright reasons.

Try http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2065401/Brinicle-forms-beneath-sea-kills-path.html

Or http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/15835017
  6. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 22:59
    Must have just been a lucky shot...or an expensive one.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 23:08
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Must have just been a lucky shot...or an expensive one.
    Probably the latter, but an expense Auntie Beeb is very willing to pay. As the Making Of's of previous Attenborough series have shown, they're willing to be very, very patient in their quest to get the right shot, and as a result, they often get that shot. It helps, of course, that, what with their (and his!) decades-long experience, they do know precisely where to look.
    It's not as if it's worth it, mind you. Attenborough series get sold and re-sold all over the world, and they well deserve it. They may cost the Beeb a lot of money, but they make the Beeb a lot of money, too. And, let's be honest, they deserve to.

Richard
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 02:05
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Probably the latter, but an expense Auntie Beeb is very willing to pay. As the Making Of's of previous Attenborough series have shown, they're willing to be very, very patient in their quest to get the right shot, and as a result, they often get that shot. It helps, of course, that, what with their (and his!) decades-long experience, they do know precis ...[text shortened]... t they make the Beeb a lot of money, too. And, let's be honest, they deserve to.

Richard
    When I first looked at it, I thought it was an animation till I read how they did it. It is amazing.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 02:31
    Originally posted by WoodPush
    What a strange world, this is.

I was thinking perhaps current, but then I'd have thought the "brynecicle" would have been affected too.
    Looks like it spread out to me, maybe going in one direction generally but a lot of lateral spread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree