1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Joined
    03 Apr '03
    Moves
    140377
    02 Oct '13 02:57
    Any one able to see it as of yet? I have an app on my phone that gives me position but it must be too faint still ? I looked right before sunrise and it was showing to be above and to the left of the moon like 9 or 10:00 position just curious

    Manny
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    02 Oct '13 10:54
    Originally posted by menace71
    Any one able to see it as of yet? I have an app on my phone that gives me position but it must be too faint still ? I looked right before sunrise and it was showing to be above and to the left of the moon like 9 or 10:00 position just curious

    Manny
    http://www.space.com/19973-comet-ison.html

    The big question is whether it will survive its encounter with the sun in November.
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Joined
    03 Apr '03
    Moves
    140377
    04 Oct '13 13:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.space.com/19973-comet-ison.html

    The big question is whether it will survive its encounter with the sun in November.
    This is what I understand also 🙂 well I hope we get to see it light up bright enough to see with the unaided eye. Tried again this morning but no go


    Manny
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    04 Oct '13 14:162 edits
    Originally posted by menace71
    This is what I understand also 🙂 well I hope we get to see it light up bright enough to see with the unaided eye. Tried again this morning but no go


    Manny
    Last I heard, it was hanging around +12 magnitude. I don't think you can see that far down in the mud. I think we poop out at around 6. It has to become about 250 times brighter to be visible unaided.
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Joined
    03 Apr '03
    Moves
    140377
    06 Oct '13 03:59
    LOL I got cha .......... 🙂


    Manny
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Joined
    03 Apr '03
    Moves
    140377
    02 Nov '13 08:07
    2nd of November .....I'm starting to think this ones not going to ever become bright enough to see with unaided eye.......My Phone app tells me where it should be but no go 🙂


    Manny
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    evolved
    Serengeti
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    02 Nov '13 19:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Last I heard, it was hanging around +12 magnitude. I don't think you can see that far down in the mud. I think we poop out at around 6. It has to become about 250 times brighter to be visible unaided.
    Our eyes were not designed well enough! 😉
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12737
    02 Nov '13 20:14
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Our eyes were not designed well enough! 😉
    But our brains were designed well enough so we could make telescopes and microscopes.

    The Instructor
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    02 Nov '13 20:465 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    But our brains were designed well enough so we could make telescopes and microscopes.

    The Moron
    What is it with "our brains"? Yours certainly would not be capable of inventing things like telescopes -proof that no infallible intelligence designed your brain or at least not unless you are supposed to be stupid. Perhaps you and Creationists are one of those 'evolution blunders' (if it is something genetic ) for you reject scientific reasoning in favour of religious dogma. Using the none standard meaning of the word 'design' that doesn't imply intent, mind or purpose, evolution 'designed' our brains -which explains its imperfections:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2262116/

    http://www.wisdompage.com/FlawsInMentality.html
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12737
    03 Nov '13 00:18
    Originally posted by humy
    What is it with "our brains"? Yours certainly would not be capable of inventing things like telescopes -proof that no infallible intelligence designed your brain or at least not unless you are supposed to be stupid. Perhaps you and Creationists are one of those 'evolution blunders' (if it is something genetic ) for you reject scientific reasoning in favo ...[text shortened]... www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2262116/

    http://www.wisdompage.com/FlawsInMentality.html
    This is philosophy in case you did not know. So don't take it too seriously.

    The Instructor
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    evolved
    Serengeti
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    03 Nov '13 02:581 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This is philosophy in case you did not know. So don't take it too seriously.

    The Instructor
    philosophy
    noun:
    the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and
    existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.

    Frightening stuff eh Ron?
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Joined
    03 Apr '03
    Moves
    140377
    04 Nov '13 01:31
    ISON !!!!! RJ gotta turn this into a debate LOL man



    Manny

    PS Comet Kohoutek was also a dud apparently
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35590
    24 Nov '13 11:312 edits
    Originally posted by menace71
    Any one able to see it as of yet? I have an app on my phone that gives me position but it must be too faint still ? I looked right before sunrise and it was showing to be above and to the left of the moon like 9 or 10:00 position just curious

    Manny
    Does your app not also give magnitude? I believe the standard threshold for visible objects is 6 magnitude, with anything less being generally visible, although maybe not from locations with more intense light pollution.

    That said, I think ISON is rapidly approaching 6 mag, if not less, by now.

    Edit: Had it the wrong way around at first, I first typed -6 magnitude. Sirius is -1, the full moon is -13 and the sun is -27.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35590
    24 Nov '13 11:46
    Originally posted by humy
    What is it with "our brains"? Yours certainly would not be capable of inventing things like telescopes -proof that no infallible intelligence designed your brain or at least not unless you are supposed to be stupid. Perhaps you and Creationists are one of those 'evolution blunders' (if it is something genetic ) for you reject scientific reasoning in favo ...[text shortened]... www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2262116/

    http://www.wisdompage.com/FlawsInMentality.html
    Our brains are somewhat imperfect precisely because of evolution. We don't exactly need to know nuclear physics or orbital mechanics in order to reach the age of reproduction, after all, nor does not knowing these things give us any mortal danger. In fact, if our best life expectancy were only 30, no doubt physical properties would more shape the evolution of humans than mental properties. Who gets the most dates in college, the athletes or the nerds?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    24 Nov '13 12:29
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Our brains are somewhat imperfect precisely because of evolution. We don't exactly need to know nuclear physics or orbital mechanics in order to reach the age of reproduction, after all, nor does not knowing these things give us any mortal danger. In fact, if our best life expectancy were only 30, no doubt physical properties would more shape the evolutio ...[text shortened]... f humans than mental properties. Who gets the most dates in college, the athletes or the nerds?
    Don't forget, when they say back in the day the life expectancy was 30, that did not mean people could get to be 90, it just meant people died from diseases a lot earlier but for a certain portion of the population but if you passed by those ages unscathed you could live to be 100 just like today, it was just that a lot smaller percentage got past 30.

    They were innovative even 10,000 years ago, remember they were the ones who invented farming, quite an intellectual step and they for sure didn't have that many old folks.

    Who gets the most dates might have something to do with the school too, like how much emphasis on athletics would there be at a uni like Princeton or MIT? You don't hear much about them getting into the top ten of football for instance. You hear about them in the boat races.
Back to Top