1. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 15:56
    The Japanese recently announced a Space Program, with the goal of capturing energy from the Sun. I suspect some day they will have solar panels orbiting the sun, and relaying energy to orbiting battery packs around earth. They will then run their cars, heat their homes, and power their industries with this renewable energy. We will be walking on the moon, and driving tinker-toys on Mars, while indirectly financing terrorism by purchasing oil from the Middle-East. NASA, the biggest boon-doggle ever foisted on us taxpayers, will be farther behind the Japanese than Detroit was when it continued to make chrome-plated dinosaurs after the 1973 oil crisis. How can we taxpayers get NASA turned away from their space playgrounds, and get to work on the Sun?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 16:04
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    The Japanese recently announced a Space Program, with the goal of capturing energy from the Sun. I suspect some day they will have solar panels orbiting the sun, and relaying energy to orbiting battery packs around earth. They will then run their cars, heat their homes, and power their industries with this renewable energy. We will be walking on the moon, ...[text shortened]... can we taxpayers get NASA turned away from their space playgrounds, and get to work on the Sun?
    Dyson swarm ftw!
  3. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 18:41
    Could you translate, so I know if it's enlightenment or insult?
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 06:18
    The Japanese recently announced a Space Program, with the goal of capturing energy from the Sun. I suspect some day they will have solar panels orbiting the sun, and relaying energy to orbiting battery packs around earth. They will then run their cars, heat their homes, and power their industries with this renewable energy. We will be walking on the moon, ...[text shortened]... can we taxpayers get NASA turned away from their space playgrounds, and get to work on the Sun?
    nasa annual budget is only $13B.
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 06:18
    they could greatly improve their targets of interest, tho. agree with you there.
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 06:19
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectenna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_satellite
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 06:22
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Dyson swarm ftw!
    heterogenous dyson swarm in orbit right now.
  8. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 14:53
    I admit that $13B does not compare with other budget items, but the cost in wasted scientific work is a much greater part of the problem. Suppose all this effort had gone into creating transportation that doesn't use gasoline, or better methods of obtaining drinkable water from the oceans, or some sort of chemical recycling system for trash, etc. etc. There are brilliant scientists who have spent their entire careers working on toilet systems for astronauts!
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 16:37
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    heterogenous dyson swarm in orbit right now.
    Nah, a proper such swarm would prevent anyone outside of it from being able to see the Sun.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 16:37
    Could you translate, so I know if it's enlightenment or insult?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 04:42
    I admit that $13B does not compare with other budget items, but the cost in wasted scientific work is a much greater part of the problem. Suppose all this effort had gone into creating transportation that doesn't use gasoline, or better methods of obtaining drinkable water from the oceans, or some sort of chemical recycling system for trash, etc. etc. The ...[text shortened]... lliant scientists who have spent their entire careers working on toilet systems for astronauts!
    you might want to start your pruning with Elizabethan scholars, then.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 07:21
    Suppose all this effort had gone into creating transportation that doesn't use gasoline, ...
    There is already transportation that doesn't use gasoline. What has held up implementation is US politics not a lack of scientists. Luckily China doesn't have the same political issues and will soon flood the world with electric cars.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree