1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 14:25
    http://esciencenews.com/articles/2009/12/13/yellowstones.plumbing.exposed

This work shows the Yellowstone park area is powered by a plume of hot melted flowing rock going to a depth of at least 400 miles and maybe twice that.

My thought is this: The last big one blew up 600,000 odd years ago and there were two others going back in time about every 600,000 years and they were over a 1000 times bigger than Mount St. Helens. It looks like it is getting ready for another big one.
    So why not start majorly tapping the heat inside the plum, get green energy for the world and stop a potential super volcano at the same time?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 14:281 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://esciencenews.com/articles/2009/12/13/yellowstones.plumbing.exposed

This work shows the Yellowstone park area is powered by a plume of hot melted flowing rock going to a depth of at least 400 miles and maybe twice that.

My thought is this: The last big one blew up 600,000 odd years ago and there were two others going back in time about every 600 ...[text shortened]... de the plum, get green energy for the world and stop a potential super volcano at the same time?
    If you have a water baloon ready to burst because of its internal pressure, what would you do?
    Put a hole in the baloon with a needle to tap water off?
  3. Joined
    01 Mar '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 23:24
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If you have a water baloon ready to burst because of its internal pressure, what would you do?
    That would be 600k +/- quite a lot in geological terms. Minor tappings will make next to no difference and would in any case not touch the plume itself, just pump water down to a depth where it can boil.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 17:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    i vote we site the other end of the pipe at sonhouse's house.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 16:00
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    i vote we site the other end of the pipe at sonhouse's house.
    I'll take it! Considering the temperature right now is -21.6 C (20 degrees F).
    Then I would take the heat and distribute it around town and make millions🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree