1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 19:02
    Originally posted by lausey
    You sounded just like Roy Batty then.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
    I assume by Roy Batty, that is a derogatory term. If so what I said went over your head apparently. I was giving a real scientific explanation of what I know to be facts about particle and ion beams, from my own experience, not some made up fantasy.
  2. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 00:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I assume by Roy Batty, that is a derogatory term. If so what I said went over your head apparently. I was giving a real scientific explanation of what I know to be facts about particle and ion beams, from my own experience, not some made up fantasy.
    No, didn't go over my head. I was joking, and no intention of being derogatory. Roy Batty is a character from Bladerunner and that was a quote from him. Just meaning that the technical language had an element of awe. It was actually complementary.
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 13:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The only problem with that concept is the motion of particles is what gives them energy, if the particles move slowly, the energy would be correspondingly low.
    That was sort of my point. "Real" particle weapons are going to be travelling much too fast for any human- (or even Jedi-) handled weapon to block.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 09:47
    Originally posted by mtthw
    That was sort of my point. "Real" particle weapons are going to be travelling much too fast for any human- (or even Jedi-) handled weapon to block.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_(Star_Wars)

The Force can enhance natural physical and mental abilities, including .... accuracy ... precognition ....

The Force also gives enhanced skills in lightsaber combat.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 22:09
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_(Star_Wars)

The Force can enhance natural physical and mental abilities, including .... accuracy ... precognition ....

The Force also gives enhanced skills in lightsaber combat.
    Yes, those midichlorians are amazing!
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 17:05
    Originally posted by mtthw
    That's why they have to develop a defensive shield, like a superconducting magnetic coil around the fighter. There is already a design afoot by the Japanese to protect the front of an incoming spacecraft exactly that way, the superconducting magnet pushes the plasma away from the spacecraft so it can re-enter the atmosphere without having to have those thick insulating tiles as is now on the space shuttle. It would do the same for ionized beam weapons if it was strong enough, it would deflect the particles around the fighter.
    The lightsaber would be a close fighting weapon like a sword which is of course the allusion in the movies but able to deflect ionized beams if you can meet it with the field but it would not be good enough for a real ion cannon.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Jan '10 01:36
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    What you see in the movies are the out-of-work and/or retired Jedis that work as actors to make some money.

The top notch Jedis are out there Jediing - and they are much faster. Basically, they're so fast they can stop lasers or bullets before they're even fired.
    They are so fast you can't see them!

They are so fast that by the time you watch Star Wars Episode I they've already blown up the Death Star twice!
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '10 10:03
    They are angels of God. God controls both particles and waves and as such they are able to focus the divine, physics-bending power to both manipulate the light saber waves and incoming particles assaulting those waves. Thus, The Force can be used against and with astrophysical properties, because The Force is neutral, and a part of, and not a part of, both particles and waves.

OR!........with CG all things are possible. 😛
  9. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 11:27
    Don't you wonder if jedis get cancer from exposure to lightsabers?
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 23:15
    Originally posted by Badwater
    They are angels of God. God controls both particles and waves and as such they are able to focus the divine, physics-bending power to both manipulate the light saber waves and incoming particles assaulting those waves. Thus, The Force can be used against and with astrophysical properties, because The Force is neutral, and a part of, and not a part of, both particles and waves.

OR!........with CG all things are possible. 😛
    Jedi have been around long before CG. Remember Star Wars: A New Hope?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree