Live microbe specimens found that are millions of years old!

Live microbe specimens found that are millions of years old!

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
31 Aug 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
I had a thought. Strange but true🙂 So these microbes were under what, a mile of rock? Not sure what grounds I have here, but a mile of rock would shield the microbe gene pool from cosmic rays so there would be less attacks than on us and all surface dwellers.

That leads me to wonder if there is a smaller mutation rate for deep underwater, say bottom of ...[text shortened]... tion studies of the rocks where the microbes were found. Sounds like a nice Phd thesis study....
Given that each of these microbe cells takes so long to complete its life cycle, it has occurred to me that it may not be so much radiation that causes most of their mutations (in between each life cycle ) but random thermal motions of their DNA molecules that, on the rare occasion, causes such a random jolt that it damages them? I have no idea how to calculate the mutation rate caused by that so it may account for much less than 99.9% of their mutations for I know. I do know that such random thermal motions of protein molecules definitely do degrade them over time so it wouldn't seem too unlikely that the same would apply to DNA although I have never heard of this effect applying to DNA.

h

Moves
31 Aug 13
3 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
You are getting ridiculous on here. I am going to leave you to your ignorance. If you want to learn something, you know where to find me. Goodbye.

The Instructor
If you want to learn something, you know where to find me.

LOL. WOW, you arrogant delusions know no bounds.
OBVIOSLY, Neither I nor anyone else here will EVER ask YOU for ANY insight into anything scientific because;

1, we all know you are NOT a scientist and have NO scientific credentials whatsoever.
2, You have repeatedly demonstrated to us you understand NOTHING about science -not even the most simple basic principles such as scientific method and evolution.
3, we all know from your moronic hateful arrogant and opinionated posts that you are a spiteful trolling MORON that is just here to push his religious agenda into the Science forum where it doesn't belong.

So, given these facts, how long do you think you will have to wait before any of us, who OBVIOUSLY know and understand VASTLY more about science than you ever will AND KNOW IT, would turn to YOU, the KNOWN MORON, for scientific insight? -oh please, don't make me laugh!

Goodbye.

You mean you intend to leave? If so, then speaking both for myself and, I believe, SURELY for all us scientists here; YIPPEE!