1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 13:33
    I was reading about trickle battery chargers that are supposed to remove some of the sulfur deposits on the lead plates in a car battery. I was looking at the reviews of some of them and one person stated that some people claim it is not possible. There are plenty of them on the market though. Is it a popular gimmick or does it really work?

Is it possible and if it is will it really pay for itself by prolonging the life of lead acid batteries? That is what some claim. Is there any science to support any of it?
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 13:442 edits
    Lead acid batteries are, like they have been for some time now, on their way out, being slowly replaced by safer and higher energy-density batteries made of less toxic components as the battery technology doesn't stand still but rather is improving all the time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2019/10/13/lead-acid-batteries-are-on-a-path-to-extinction/?sh=25a831d1ca9a

I predict that one possible final death nail to all lead acid batteries would be when finally the much promised Mg-based batteries finally become cost effective and of age, which is now just a matter of when, not if.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 14:21
    Interesting. Maybe some day, but I have a truck battery that is weak.

I have heard of emptying the liquid from the battery and flushing it out with baking soda dissolved in distilled water and doing subsequent flushing with pure distilled water. Then add Epsom salt to distilled water for an acid liquid for replacement. You can buy concentrated sulfuric acid in stores too. That is a lot of trouble and I don't know what I would do with the acid waste.

I want to work with what I have and not have to buy a new battery if possible. It would also save resources and be good for the environment if prolonging the life of lead acid batteries is really possible.

The claim is that high frequency bursts from trickle chargers can remove sulfur from battery lead plates so they will hold a charge better.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Feb '21 00:13
    @Metal-Brain
    One thing happening to lead acid batteries is bits of the lead sheets breaking off and forming a layer on the bottom of the battery case.
    Eventually, such layers of powered conductor can reach up far enough to short out the cells, it only takes one dead cell to make such a battery useless unless there is some way to suck out the bad stuff on the bottom of the case, not sure what they do about that. Vacuum cleaner?
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '21 01:07
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    One thing happening to lead acid batteries is bits of the lead sheets breaking off and forming a layer on the bottom of the battery case.
    Eventually, such layers of powered conductor can reach up far enough to short out the cells, it only takes one dead cell to make such a battery useless unless there is some way to suck out the bad stuff on the bottom of the case, not sure what they do about that. Vacuum cleaner?
    You could shake up the battery before flushing it as I described in my previous post. That is what is recommended in the videos I have seen on the subject.

Doing that would leave me with the lead acid waste. I can put it in a plastic container, but that is just temporary. Where would you dispose of that toxic waste to protect the environment?
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '21 09:28
    A battery could simply have a low fluid level and need distilled water added. That is the first thing anybody should do if their battery is weak, check the battery fluid level.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 02:10
    @Metal-Brain
    https://recyclenation.com/2015/05/how-to-recycle-lead/
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 02:53
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    https://recyclenation.com/2015/05/how-to-recycle-lead/
    All that website does is tell where you can get rid of old batteries, not the hazardous fluid alone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree