Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 Jan '12 01:43
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-01-supersoldier-ants-lab-reactivating-ancestral.html
  2. Subscriber WoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    09 Jan '12 20:08
    Pretty cool. I was curious what sort of ancestral genes we humans might have lying around, and turned up an article trying to exploit ancestral genes to fight disease (HIV in this case):

    http://www.mentalindigestion.net/?p=756

    Wonder what other interesting ancestral genes we have lying dormant
  3. 10 Jan '12 13:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-01-supersoldier-ants-lab-reactivating-ancestral.html
    Interesting article, but I'm afraid your headline has nothing to do with it. This is not man-made evolution; this is merely the reactivating of a gene (or genes) which had been produced by natural evolution, a long, long time ago.

    Remember, to have evolution, you need two things:
    - a new adaptation to new circumstances, and
    - speciation as a result of this.
    As far as I am aware, lab experiments have amply demonstrated the former, but not yet the latter (although I may be out of date on that, in which case I'd like to see the evidence). Nature, of course, has been able to demonstrate both in spades.
    The experiment described in the article shows neither; the adaptation evoked was old, not new. Interesting, but not man-made evolution.

    Richard
  4. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    29 Jan '12 02:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Interesting article, but I'm afraid your headline has nothing to do with it. This is not man-made evolution; this is merely the reactivating of a gene (or genes) which had been produced by natural evolution, a long, long time ago.

    Remember, to have evolution, you need two things:
    - a new adaptation to new circumstances, and
    - speciati r; the adaptation evoked was old, not new. Interesting, but not man-made evolution.

    Richard
    Adaptation is not evolution and there is no such thing as evolution, natural
    or artificial, except in the mind of theorist.
  5. 31 Jan '12 20:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Adaptation is not evolution and there is no such thing as evolution, natural or artificial, except in the mind of theorist.
    You are a servant of the Great Liar.

    Go away.

    Richard