1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 07:14
    "At the center of our Milky Way Galaxy lies a supermassive black hole. Once a controversial claim, this conclusion is now solidly based on 16 years of observations that map the orbits of 28 stars very near the galactic center."

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081211.html
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 08:46
    Originally posted by Crowley
    "At the center of our Milky Way Galaxy lies a supermassive black hole. Once a controversial claim, this conclusion is now solidly based on 16 years of observations that map the orbits of 28 stars very near the galactic center."

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081211.html
    And your point is???😏
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 15:071 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    And your point is???😏
    One big point is if you know the orbits, the timing and such, you can figure out the masses of both the black hole and the stars orbiting it. Fundamental data hard to get any other way. And your anti-science stance comes from what?
    This is supposed to be a science forum unless I am mistaken so why don't you go back to general and let the big boys play, ok?
  4. Joined
    09 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 16:41
    if only we could solve the global warming problem
  5. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    15 Dec '08 20:26
    That's very impressive!!!

Although I don't think it can do much for the global warming problem mentioned before.
  6. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    16 Dec '08 09:07
    There's actually a black hole forming in Switzerland as we speak. So far
    they've managed to control it using alien technology obtained after the
    Roswell incident, but it's slowly getting out of hand. I can see it clearly from
    my position now. It's... it's amazing... Things are being sucked into it. Cars,
    buildings, the ground itself... and... and... it seems to tear them into thin
    air. Amazing! Amazing!.. Amazing! It's growing! Oh my GOD! It's gro...
  7. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 22:56
    27,000 light years away.....for a moment there I was begining to worry.
  8. Joined
    14 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 00:51
    I remember seeing a series on the history channel about these black holes. Supposed to be one in the center of every galaxy yeah?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 05:02
    Originally posted by Electric Red
    I remember seeing a series on the history channel about these black holes. Supposed to be one in the center of every galaxy yeah?
    some have two in orbit around each other, the gravitational lens boys at LIGO are waiting for a couple like that to crash into each other generating a humungus gravity wave detectable across the universe.
    I think they will have a long wait.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree