1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 02:45
    Just watched the "Life" show last week. And it showed some monkeys that use rocks to crack open nuts. Oprah 's comments were that over the centuries the monkeys had learned to use the rocks as tools as they didn't at one time.
    My question is..who was there hundreds of thousands of years ago to say they didn't?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 06:23
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Just watched the "Life" show last week. And it showed some monkeys that use rocks to crack open nuts. Oprah 's comments were that over the centuries the monkeys had learned to use the rocks as tools as they didn't at one time.
    My question is..who was there hundreds of thousands of years ago to say they didn't?
    Oprah is certainly an authority in this field.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 06:50
    Oprah cured me from my bad aids.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 08:30
    Some other monkeys perhaps?
    But your real question is "how do we know", or "how does Oprah know". Also, you have combined your question with an erroneous claim about knowledge acquisition.
    It is not necessary for there to be a witness to an event for us to know of the event. In fact, witnesses are often not the most reliable form of evidence.

In this particular case, I would say it was probably:
    a) a guess, based on the known fact that most monkeys do not do the same, so it is most likely that the practice started in that particular population at some point in time.
    b) the known fact that the monkeys evolved from other animals incapable of using rocks.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 15:03
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Oprah is certainly an authority in this field.
    I know that. She's simply reading th script given to her...
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 16:24
    Never mind that, can you explain to me why anyone would watch Oprah?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 01:28
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Never mind that, can you explain to me why anyone would watch Oprah?
    She is the commentator on the new National Geographic show "Life".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree