These people are really funny!
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 14:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MOnehCOUw

Yup. They are. The best thing they ever did, though, easily the best, is the Quiz Broadcast series:
    YouTube

Also... YouTube
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 14:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MOnehCOUw

Yes, that really is funny. On a slightly more serious note, they expose much of what is fundamentally wrong with the fake Moon landings and, in particular going to the massive expense of building a bloody great big functional rocket for landing on the Moon yet not using it to land on the Moon -not much money saved with faking the landing then!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Oct '15 11:51
    Originally posted by humy
    Yes, that really is funny. On a slightly more serious note, they expose much of what is fundamentally wrong with the fake Moon landings and, in particular going to the massive expense of building a bloody great big functional rocket for landing on the Moon yet not using it to land on the Moon -not much money saved with faking the landing then!
    Indeed. The whole moon landing hoax is just another way to make money and not to be taken seriously. Not only building that Saturn V rocket. As you probably know, I was one of the techs involved in Apollo and the stuff I worked on was extemely expensive in its own right, Apollo tracking and timing. The tracking part was a very intricate digital signal sent to a transponder onboard Apollo and that unit sent the same signal back to Earth and analyzing the differences in the digital stream gave the distance of Apollo from Earth. Then there was the other half of my job, timing. Also an intricate expensive operation that synced the data incoming from Apollo to whatever tracking station was picking it up and sending it to Goddard Space flight center, the data had to be accurate within 100 nanoseconds and that is the job the atomic clocks managed to do, to pass the data from one tracking station to the next within 100 nanoseconds took quite a bit of engineering and that was in the 1960's so you can imagine what they had to build without the benefit of PLC's, advanced software and so forth. I remember when I was there, I saw the first single board computer, called the Nova, which was indeed on on board, but the size of a cookie sheet🙂 and only TTL logic circuits, no large scale integration or anything like that, just TTL logic like the 7400 series, and gates, or gates and such. Our cell phones are probably a thousand times more powerful now but it was the cat's meow back then!

Then there was the expense of building those tracking stations in the first place, one in Burmuda, one in Australia, one in the California desert and so forth.

BTW, you should check out this movie 'Dish' with Sam Neill. Here is a comparison of fact V fiction on that film, about the Parkes radio telescope and its role in getting the signal to Goddard from Apollo. One thing I noted in the film, there was no timing gear, each telescope had its array of three atomic clocks, well, 2 atomic clocks and a tertiary clock based on temperature compensated quartz crystal a LOT more accurate than today's wrist watches🙂
    I had a bit of angst one day, was offered a job at Goldstone space tracking center in the desert of California and saw where the Apollo timing clocks had been removed and new tile placed on the floor, almost brought tears to my eyes. There was no new tile shown in Dish...

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/outreach/visiting/parkes/looselybased.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree