Science 27 Feb '08 18:00
  1. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 18:00
    Just got this emailed to me...
    YouTube
    Nokia giving a glimpse of concept electronics in the future. As this is the science forum, what kind of applications do people think will be found for technologies like this beyond personal electronics?
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 18:42
    Lots of biometric integration, I think. Human imagination is the limit.

Sunglasses with internet, live TV, and mp3 player: that's be cool.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 20:01
    Originally posted by agryson
    Just got this emailed to me...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zto6aTZM9t0
    Nokia giving a glimpse of concept electronics in the future. As this is the science forum, what kind of applications do people think will be found for technologies like this beyond personal electronics?
    Sounds like they should move this post to the Spirituality forum, where it belongs.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 20:45
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Sounds like they should move this post to the Spirituality forum, where it belongs.
    ?
    are you serious?
  5. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 19:25
    Originally posted by serigado
    ?
    are you serious?
    Nah, he's just sore because his attempt to proselytise creationist ideologies was recognised for what it was and shifted to the appropriate forum. Petty really.
    But to get back on topic, I think that companies looking ahead like this is a great move. As a scientist, my biggest problem is people always asking what the practical use of my research is, but finding the knowledge is teh scientists job, not finding applications. It's good to see companies applying that research to find the applications, giving the scientists more time to concentrate ont eh actual research.
    I work on foams for instance, and everyone thinks that being a "bubble" physicist is a joke, but it's the kind of work that I do which leads to the highly hydrophobic materials mentioned in the video.
    Is it right that I shoud want to avoid looking for applications and let industry do that?
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 19:50
    Originally posted by agryson
    Nah, he's just sore because his attempt to proselytise creationist ideologies was recognised for what it was and shifted to the appropriate forum. Petty really.
    But to get back on topic, I think that companies looking ahead like this is a great move. As a scientist, my biggest problem is people always asking what the practical use of my research is, but fin ...[text shortened]...
    Is it right that I shoud want to avoid looking for applications and let industry do that?
    It's a dirty job, but someone has do to it ....
  7. the highway to hell
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 13:59
    you know its just gimmickry, not a real advance in technology. its still basically a keypad, and can break/ get lost/ stolen etc.
    an internet interface implant would be more like it

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree