Music!!

Standard memberRemoved
Science 08 Aug '11 02:25
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 02:253 edits
    Why do we create it?

I don't explect to recieve a(n) explicit solution of course, Its more that looking for a good talk on the matter.

Heres one piece that recently inspired me... to aid the thought process!

YouTube

And here is a link to a guy that has inspired me philisophicaly and from a enginnering stand point...A musical Einstien in my humble opinion.

YouTube
    I hope you give it a serious listen, and I you dont agree
    look at this one
    YouTube&feature=related

Maybe we'll even discuss why some of us will disagree on the selections?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 00:141 edit
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Why do we create it?

I don't explect to recieve a(n) explicit solution of course, Its more that looking for a good talk on the matter.

Heres one piece that recently inspired me... to aid the thought process!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzpjFk29WlA

And here is a link to a guy that has inspired me philisophicaly and from a enginnering stand poi ...[text shortened]... wI&feature=related

Maybe we'll even discuss why some of us will disagree on the selections?
    I visited two of the sites. The first I didn't like. I am tired of funky beats.

The invented instrument was interesting. Ever hear of Harry Parch ? The composer who made all of his own instruments ? Maybe that's too old for you. I don't know.

I am presently reading "What to Listen For in Music" by Aaron Copland.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 00:304 edits
    Originally posted by jaywill

The invented instrument was interesting. Ever hear of Harry Parch ? The composer who made all of his own instruments ? Maybe that's too old for you. I don't know.

I am presently reading [b] "What to Listen For in Music"
    by Aaron Copland.[/b]
    Harry Partch actually. The Parch spelling was attributed to Philip K Dick, the sci fi author who wrote a book based on Partch. He worked up a 43 note octave instrument and many others. Our chromatic scale is based on the 12th root of 2, a number used as a multiplier when you make fretboards and such, in that system there are 12 notes per octave. He thought, what if you used other numbers like the 13th root of 2 or the 18th root of 2. That last one is interesting, 18 notes per octave so there can be specific chords not available in our regular 12 note scale. His weirdest one was based on the 43rd root of 2, making 43 notes per octave, it would be almost impossible to to on a guitar but with individual strings not quite so daunting. He made whole orchestras using his own instruments:

http://musicmavericks.publicradio.org/features/feature_partch.html

Here is a history of his life, 1901 to 1974:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Partch

Here is a bit of his composition Delusion of the Fury, 1966:

http://acousmata.com/post/83551265/a-son-in-search-of-his-fathers-face
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 02:31
    Originally posted by jaywill

I am presently reading [b] "What to Listen For in Music"
    by Aaron Copland.[/b]
    I have never heard of him till now, so I'll use sonhouse's links to learn of him.

As for the first pick, I wasn't posting it for the music, more for the songwriting...The funky beat helps package the positive poetry for todays culture.

Perhaps you have a piece you would like to share?

I know this is scarcely scientific at the moment, but I wanted to discuss this with this forum specifically to see what science may be linked to it.

Music was really a noble scientific persuit before its somewhat dryer offspring "the quantity of sound" was factored out of it...I have a feeling that music will once again come under our scientific scalpel, perhaps it already has? But if not when/what might the tools be to examine it, and tye it into existing scientific theory...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree