1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 21:081 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No. Why would you even think that? Would you kill a human that had a limp? Clearly they are suffering relative to a healthy human being and you would not deliberately cause children to be born with limps, but you wouldn't kill them either.
    No, of course I would not kill a human that had a limp. But then I wouldn't have humans with limps sterilized either.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 21:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    No, of course I would not kill a human that had a limp. But then I wouldn't have humans with limps sterilized either.
    That is because we grant humans the right to make their own decisions about causing pain to their children. Or do we? Although most human sterilization projects have not been particularly admirable, there is a good case for expecting people with severe genetic diseases that are likely to be inherited to not have children.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 23:02
    That is because we grant humans the right to make their own decisions about causing pain to their children. Or do we? Although most human sterilization projects have not been particularly admirable, there is a good case for expecting people with severe genetic diseases that are likely to be inherited to not have children.
    What is "severe" about the problem that these two stray cats have? They are both happy, playful, affectionate cats, well adapted to interaction with humans, and with healthy appetites ~ and no discernible signs of the suffering you mentioned. You advise sterilization?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 06:361 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is "severe" about the problem that these two stray cats have?
    Well not having seen them, I really don't have a lot to go on except your OP and the thread title where you clearly called it a 'physical disability'.

Cats are very active creatures and need to be able to jump and run well.

You advise sterilization?
    I advise sterilization for all cats, yes, and more especially so for cats with a genetic disability.
    I really don't see why you would even think to argue against it.

Oh, actually you haven't argued against it, you have only acted surprised without giving any reasoning for your objections.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 03:36
    I advise sterilization for all cats, yes, and more especially so for cats with a genetic disability. I really don't see why you would even think to argue against it.
    I am not arguing against it. I'm just not going to do it. The OP was a question not a debating topic. 🙂
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 06:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not arguing against it. I'm just not going to do it. The OP was a question not a debating topic. 🙂
    Not all discussions have to be debates. If you have good reasons for not doing it why not share?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 11:38
    Not all discussions have to be debates. If you have good reasons for not doing it why not share?
    Because I don't want to. That's a "good" reason, I think. 🙂
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 12:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    Because I don't want to. That's a "good" reason, I think. 🙂
    No, it is not a good reason. If you have a good reason for not spaying cats, then it would have to be a moral argument based on benefit to the cats. If you keep it to yourself you are potentially causing suffering to other cats -all because you 'don't want to'. That makes you are mean person.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 15:11
    No, it is not a good reason. If you have a good reason for not spaying cats, then it would have to be a moral argument based on benefit to the cats. If you keep it to yourself you are potentially causing suffering to other cats -all because you 'don't want to'. That makes you are mean person.
    You seem to want this to be a debate. I disagree with the automatic sterilization of cats. Keeping the cat population under control can be done by keeping the female cats indoors when they are on heat, or possibly (I've no idea if this works for non-humans) by giving them cat contraceptives, if such things exist.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 16:43
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    You seem to want this to be a debate.
    No. I believe cats should be sterilized. If I am wrong, I want to know why. If I am right, I want FMF to know why so that he sterilizes his cats.

I disagree with the automatic sterilization of cats. Keeping the cat population under control can be done by keeping the female cats indoors when they are on heat, or possibly (I've no idea if this works for non-humans) by giving them cat contraceptives, if such things exist.
    I would be OK with cat contraceptives if they exist. We also talked about stray cats which cannot be kept indoors. Most people who have female cats that are at least sometimes allowed outside are unable to constrain them when they are on heat.
    I see no problem with not spaying if you have a good alternative method to stop them breeding. I do have a problem with allowing them to breed while there are many cats out there without homes.
    I also see no problem with allowing cats to breed in parts of the world where there isn't a large stray cat population or cats needing homes.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '16 06:42
    I also see no problem with allowing cats to breed in parts of the world where there isn't a large stray cat population or cats needing homes.
    There is no problem with the number of cats in my neighbourhood.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '16 06:46
    If you have a good reason for not spaying cats, then it would have to be a moral argument based on benefit to the cats.
    My reason is that I just want to let the cats that come into my orbit live out their lives naturally.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '16 06:58
    Back on the original topic: manx cats (which aren't necessarily tailless, it seems) have this way of using the two hind legs together, and it's normal, not a deformity. Is there any chance that the cat you've adopted may have manx ancestry?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '16 07:21
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Back on the original topic: manx cats (which aren't necessarily tailless, it seems) have this way of using the two hind legs together, and it's normal, not a deformity. Is there any chance that the cat you've adopted may have manx ancestry?
    Not sure how that could be. The distance from Douglas to where I live is 12,324 kms. Ha ha! She has a one inch stub of a tail (like her mother - and, indeed, the majority [?] of cats here). Here mother's limp seems to have mostly cleared up which would suggest that it was an injury as once was the theory. This section from wiki seems to suit her down to the ground:

"The Manx is considered a social and gregarious cat, and very attached to humans, but also shy of strangers. The breed is said to be highly intelligent, playful, and in its behaviour reminiscent of dogs. For example, like some Maine Coons and a few other breeds, Manx cats often learn to fetch small thrown objects. They may also follow their owners about like puppies, and are believed to be better able to learn simple verbal commands than most cats."
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '16 07:31
    Since Manx were popular as ship's cats, the distance may not be impossible. Indonesia was colonised by the Dutch, after all. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree