Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Jul '09 12:22 / 1 edit
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090720225213.htm

    Found by an amateur astronomer! The big guys confirm story.

    A bit more info here:

    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17491-jupiter-sports-new-bruise-from-impact.html
  2. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    23 Jul '09 07:43
    "We were extremely lucky to be seeing Jupiter at exactly the right time, the right hour, the right side of Jupiter to witness the event. We couldn't have planned it better," said Glenn Orton, a scientist at JPL.

    Coincidence -- or message?
  3. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    23 Jul '09 10:09
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    "We were extremely lucky to be seeing Jupiter at exactly the right time, the right hour, the right side of Jupiter to witness the event. We couldn't have planned it better," said Glenn Orton, a scientist at JPL.

    Coincidence -- or message?
    Seeing as how Jupiter acts as the 'vacuum cleaner' of our solar system i would assume it was coincidence.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Jul '09 02:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Seeing as how Jupiter acts as the 'vacuum cleaner' of our solar system i would assume it was coincidence.
    Yeah, lets see, Alien wants to send message to Earthers. Ok he says, I know they have telescopes, lets slam an asteroid into Jupiter! Yeah, that's the ticket! We can do it when we know that side of Jove is visible from Earth! If they don't get THAT message, we have one ready to go to slam into the moon! And we will time the Jupiter slamdunk to be exactly 15 years after the comet Shoemaker made a mess of Jovian atmosphere! Yeah, that's the ticket! BY JOVE, I THINK WE GOT IT!
  5. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    24 Jul '09 04:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, lets see, Alien wants to send message to Earthers. Ok he says, I know they have telescopes, lets slam an asteroid into Jupiter! Yeah, that's the ticket! We can do it when we know that side of Jove is visible from Earth! If they don't get THAT message, we have one ready to go to slam into the moon! And we will time the Jupiter slamdunk to be exactly 15 ...[text shortened]... emaker made a mess of Jovian atmosphere! Yeah, that's the ticket! BY JOVE, I THINK WE GOT IT!
    Your insight into alien methods is a little suspicious.
  6. 24 Jul '09 07:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, lets see, Alien wants to send message to Earthers. Ok he says, I know they have telescopes, lets slam an asteroid into Jupiter! Yeah, that's the ticket! We can do it when we know that side of Jove is visible from Earth! If they don't get THAT message, we have one ready to go to slam into the moon! And we will time the Jupiter slamdunk to be exactly 15 ...[text shortened]... emaker made a mess of Jovian atmosphere! Yeah, that's the ticket! BY JOVE, I THINK WE GOT IT!
    And if they still don't get the message, lets slam one into the earth, there sure to get that.
  7. 24 Jul '09 10:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090720225213.htm

    Found by an amateur astronomer! The big guys confirm story.

    A bit more info here:

    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17491-jupiter-sports-new-bruise-from-impact.html
    I would say that this happens more frequently than people think. In fact, now that I know no one on earth seems to be studying the planet with any degree of consistancy, I know its the case.

    As for alien messages, I was looking at it the other day through my telescope and I thought I could make out John 3:16.
  8. 24 Jul '09 11:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    As for alien messages, I was looking at it the other day through my telescope and I thought I could make out John 3:16.
    For God so loved Jupiter .....