1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    13 Sep '17 12:115 edits
    In my book I am writing, I find I have the inconvenience of having to repeat the words "...the study of logical fallacies..." so often that I see the need to give it a nice short name.

    But is there already such a name for this field of study?
    I tried googling this but got nowhere although there is this;

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy

    IF (and ONLY if) there is NO special conventional name for this, I plan to give it the new word "falology" (obviously from the word fallacy) to mean this not only for my book but then hopefully, after publishing my book, that word would then become the new officially recognized name for it.

    Incidentally, I have already so far invented 4 other "-ology" words for my book; disto-ology, twidology, tido-ology (not to be confused with the conventional word "tidology" ) and definology.
    Definology is to be the name of the study and philosophy concerning what criteria or 'rules' should be used to determine whether a given proposed definition of a word or term is valid. But here I am assuming there already a conventional name for this "definology" field of study.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    13 Sep '17 14:59
    Originally posted by @humy
    In my book I am writing, I find I have the inconvenience of having to repeat the words "...the study of logical fallacies..." so often that I see the need to give it a nice short name.

    But is there already such a name for this field of study?
    I tried googling this but got nowhere although there is this;

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy

    IF (an ...[text shortened]... . But here I am assuming there already a conventional name for this "definology" field of study.
    How bout just an acronym, SOLF?
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    13 Sep '17 15:289 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    How bout just an acronym, SOLF?
    arr but I prefer a word that will become the widely used officially recognized name for it after publishing my book.

    I also already have made a large number of acronyms for my book, such as MCM (Monte Carlo Method) PmOI (Problem Of Induction) PpOI (Principle Of Induction) etc. But I wouldn't like all of them to be acronyms as I already got an excessively large number of them as acronyms. I have already have special non-acronym names for about 30 kinds of probability, many being totally new kinds of probability (to statistics) i.e. never previously identified or defined or considered or used. Unbelievably, I already count over 350 new words in the glossary for my book and that number is increasing all the time. I predict my book will completely revolutionize statistics and that includes its terminology.
    I bet statisticians mathematicians and philosophers would all be particularly impressed by my extraordinary complex and philosophically subtle mathematical proof (proof by contradiction) of how the conventional equation to the German tank problem is extremely subtly wrong
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_tank_problem
    and then I show the correct equation for it which is based on what I call the "sucoful model".
    I have already run many computer simulations that confirm my equation is correct while proving theirs is wrong but I plan to develop and run an even more advanced one that would really nail it.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    13 Sep '17 16:14
    Originally posted by @humy
    arr but I prefer a word that will become the widely used officially recognized name for it after publishing my book.

    I also already have made a large number of acronyms for my book, such as MCM (Monte Carlo Method) PmOI (Proble[b]m
    Of Induction) PpOI (Principle Of Induction) etc. But I wouldn't like all of them to be acronyms as I already got an ...[text shortened]... eirs is wrong but I plan to develop and run an even more advanced one that would really nail it.[/b]
    If you're trying to coin a term, how about "fallacism"?

    If you're looking for an actual word, you could try "illogicality".
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    13 Sep '17 16:21
    Originally posted by @humy
    arr but I prefer a word that will become the widely used officially recognized name for it after publishing my book.

    I also already have made a large number of acronyms for my book, such as MCM (Monte Carlo Method) PmOI (Proble[b]m
    Of Induction) PpOI (Principle Of Induction) etc. But I wouldn't like all of them to be acronyms as I already got an ...[text shortened]... eirs is wrong but I plan to develop and run an even more advanced one that would really nail it.[/b]
    My son in law has a Phd in statistical Physics, you might gain some insite if you corrospond to him. If you wish I can PM his email, I'm sure he will help you. He teaches physics at Federal University in Brazil, along with his wife, my daughter, who teaches music there also. She is working on her Phd in music now. BA from Berklee in Boston and MA from Wesleysan. He got his Phd from Boston U.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    13 Sep '17 18:172 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    My son in law has a Phd in statistical Physics,
    I just looked that up;

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_physics

    Interesting. I currently struggle to imagine how that might relate to what I am currently doing which is much more philosophically-based rather than thinking about it in relation to practical modern-physics-problems but, still, I think I really should look into that at some point in my future research. But I think I must get the theory side of it completely worked out first (which I have so far only partially done) before thinking about the more practical applications of it. At least at the moment, I can easily imagine future AI applications of it but not so sure about statistical physics application; we shall see.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    13 Sep '17 18:273 edits
    Originally posted by @vivify
    If you're trying to coin a term, how about "fallacism"?

    If you're looking for an actual word, you could try "illogicality".
    For one spit second my dyslexic brain misread that "fallacism" as "fascism" and I thought you were ridiculing my work! 🙂

    I looked up both words and both are conventional words.
    "fallacism" is too narrow and specific in its meaning to come even close to what I mean.
    Neither "illogicality" nor "fallacism" are normally defined as or meant to be fields of study.

    But, still, thanks for trying!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    13 Sep '17 18:39
    Originally posted by @humy
    I just looked that up;

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_physics

    Interesting. I currently struggle to imagine how that might relate to what I am currently doing which is much more philosophically-based rather than thinking about it in relation to practical modern-physics-problems but, still, I think I really should look into that at some point in ...[text shortened]... uture AI applications of it but not so sure about statistical physics application; we shall see.
    I'll give you his email anytime you need it, just PM me. He might help you in ways you don't realize now. He is a cerified genius🙂
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    13 Sep '17 19:23
    Originally posted by @humy
    For one spit second my dyslexic brain misread that "fallacism" as "fascism" and I thought you were ridiculing my work! 🙂

    I looked up both words and both are conventional words.
    "fallacism" is too narrow and specific in its meaning to come even close to what I mean.
    Neither "illogicality" nor "fallacism" are normally defined as or meant to be fields of study.

    But, still, thanks for trying!
    Just one more. How about "fallicology"?
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    13 Sep '17 21:141 edit
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Just one more. How about "fallicology"?
    that looks doable to me. Would that be pronounced "falis-ology" or "falik-ology"? My original suggestion of "falology" has the small advantage of being shorter but the disadvantage of resembling less like "fallacy" I think.
    Another; "fallaology" pronounced "fala-ology" ?
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    13 Sep '17 21:181 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    ... He is a certified genius🙂
    he sound a bit like one of my brothers who is also a know genius and way smarter than me.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    13 Sep '17 21:28
    Originally posted by @humy
    he sound a bit like one of my brothers who is also a know genius and way smarter than me.
    His wife, my daughter is not too shabby herself. For her coming Phd in music, she is learning Greek because she is writing a Greek opera in Greek. She is also learning Irish gaelic and writing an opera in Irish.
    To get certified on university level in Brazil, she had to first, learn Portuguese, then theportuguese methode of solfege wheras in most countries, you have do re mi fa so, etc. And the same letters for each scale so A, do re mi, for b, do re mi, and so forth.

    But the portuguese way is one requiring 144 separate symbols, each key a separate set of letters. So Do Re Mi for A, say, and A# now fee fi fo fum, and B, sol, bil, fuu, lo or some such and on and on for each key.

    So after learning Port., and their solfege, then teach a university level class of music with about 8 judges in the back row, no pressure🙂 It turned out she got a higher score in her test than Gandhi did in his physics certification after his Phd.

    You might notice a certain parental pride?
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    13 Sep '17 22:222 edits
    Originally posted by @humy
    that looks doable to me. Would that be pronounced "falis-ology" or "falik-ology"?
    It wouldn't be correct grammatically to have the "S" sound, so the second option would be the way to go.

    Another; "fallaology" pronounced "fala-ology" ?

    What about "fallogy"? It's shorter like you mentioned, and fulfills the "logy" part.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    13 Sep '17 22:57
    Originally posted by @vivify
    It wouldn't be correct grammatically to have the "S" sound, so the second option would be the way to go.

    [b]Another; "fallaology" pronounced "fala-ology" ?


    What about "fallogy"? It's shorter like you mentioned, and fulfills the "logy" part.[/b]
    That's already taken, the study of objects under the influence of gravity🙂
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    6975
    13 Sep '17 23:23
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    That's already taken, the study of objects under the influence of gravity🙂
    Logicism is the study of logic, and the study of logical fallacy is merely a sub-specialty of that. Unless what I just wrote was itself a logical fallacy, in which case ignore me.

    OR, it seems like lots of people use the -ome or -omics suffix these days. Genome, proteome, cistrome, and there's even a logicome.

    If you define a fallacome, comprising the list of known logical fallacies, then one who studies fallacomacy would be called a fallacomicist.
Back to Top