Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 28 Jan '14 12:03 / 1 edit
    http://phys.org/news/2014-01-nanoscale-standard-efficiency-limit.html

    but I absolutely no idea what they mean by "squeezed reservoirs"
    although they do say "... squeezing is a quantum optics concept that has been shown to be a useful tool in high-precision spectroscopy, quantum information, quantum cryptography, and other areas...."

    I tried goggling "squeezed reservoirs" but couldn't get a straight explanation of what it actually is. Can anyone here explain to me what is a "squeezed reservoir" and what is meant by "squeezing" in this context baring in mind I have pretty good understanding of basic physics?

    Note that I have also publicly asked that question at the bottom of that link.
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Jan '14 18:28
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2014-01-nanoscale-standard-efficiency-limit.html

    but I absolutely no idea what they mean by "squeezed reservoirs"
    although they do say "... squeezing is a quantum optics concept that has been shown to be a useful tool in high-precision spectroscopy, quantum information, quantum cryptography, and other areas...."

    I tried goggling "squ ...[text shortened]... basic physics?

    Note that I have also publicly asked that question at the bottom of that link.
    From what I understand, the term "Squeezed'' in quantum physics is where you have two aspects, say position and energy, where you cannot measure both in absolute precision at the same time, squeezing is a temporary change to allow more precise reading of one while sacrificing the other so you can get more precision of at least that one aspect.

    Here is one article where they use that process to make more precise measurements:

    http://www.nature.com/news/squeezed-light-mutes-quantum-noise-1.13510
  3. 28 Jan '14 18:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    From what I understand, the term "Squeezed'' in quantum physics is where you have two aspects, say position and energy, where you cannot measure both in absolute precision at the same time, squeezing is a temporary change to allow more precise reading of one while sacrificing the other so you can get more precision of at least that one aspect.

    Here is on ...[text shortened]... e precise measurements:

    http://www.nature.com/news/squeezed-light-mutes-quantum-noise-1.13510
    That's an interesting clue. But I still don't see how that relates to the OP link quote of "...high-temperature thermal reservoir to which the quantum heat engine is attached is "squeezed,"..." -I mean, what does that mean? perhaps they are saying either the infrared photons in the heat reservoir or the phonons in the heat reservoir are 'squeezed' ? -but then they also apparently contradict that by referring to the reservoir as being a "none-thermal" reservoir which makes my completely confused!
  4. 28 Jan '14 19:37
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeezed_state
  5. 28 Jan '14 20:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeezed_state
    I have just read that but wish I hadn't. I am now more confused about this than ever before. Thanks to what I learned at university, I clearly understand there is the meaning of that equation that describes the minimum uncertainty that is possible and means:

    (difference in position ) * (difference in momentum ) = (planks constant ) / 2

    and that kind of makes sense of what I can imagine could be meant by 'squeezed' but not in the context of "squeezed reservoirs" (still have no idea what they are ) and then the rest of it completely looses me. Perhaps I should give up here.
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Jan '14 20:30
    Originally posted by humy
    I have just read that but wish I hadn't. I am now more confused about this than ever before. Thanks to what I learned at university, I clearly understand there is the meaning of that equation that describes the minimum uncertainty that is possible and means:

    (difference in position ) * (difference in momentum ) = (planks constant ) / 2

    and that kind of m ...[text shortened]... dea what they are ) and then the rest of it completely looses me. Perhaps I should give up here.
    Speaking of squeezed light, here is a new Physorg piece on teleporting energy long distance using squeezed light:

    http://phys.org/news/2014-01-theory-teleport-energy-distances.html
  7. 05 Feb '14 15:21
    just read this on how to make an absorption refrigerator exceed standard efficiency limits:

    http://phys.org/news/2014-02-quantum-refrigerator-classical-efficiency-limits.html

    here we go again; with the "squeezed" reservoir.