Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    23 May '13 11:58
    http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/nasa-funds-3-d-pizza-printer

    My question to the experts here is, if a manned mission to Mars were to become a reality, how much water would be needed to pass a theoretical benchmark, for 15 years of travel ? ( assuming 15 years worth, is a safety net ).

    This kind of food would need masses of water, would it not, added to the daily requirements of other water usages?

    Is such travel possible today, based upon any assumptions made for the amount of water needed to be carried? I have no idea, but it seems a little far fetched?? (of course, number of crew needs to be considered, but I doubt a manned mission to Mars would not comprise less than 5 persons?

    Genuine question guys....

    -m.
  2. 23 May '13 14:31
    You can recycle water.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    23 May '13 15:11
    Originally posted by mikelom
    http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/nasa-funds-3-d-pizza-printer

    My question to the experts here is, if a manned mission to Mars were to become a reality, how much water would be needed to pass a theoretical benchmark, for 15 years of travel ? ( assuming 15 years worth, is a safety net ).

    This kind of food would need masses of w ...[text shortened]... nned mission to Mars would not comprise less than 5 persons?

    Genuine question guys....

    -m.
    Does the 3d printer produce cooked food or is that the next step? And could a 3D printer EVER produce finished food?
  4. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    23 May '13 18:03
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Does the 3d printer produce cooked food or is that the next step? And could a 3D printer EVER produce finished food?
    Doesn't it seem stupid how our governments are wasting so much of our resources in space, when there is so much we should be doing on earth?

    The Instructor
  5. 24 May '13 03:07
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Doesn't it seem stupid how our governments are wasting so much of our resources in space, when there is so much we should be doing on earth?

    The Instructor
    No, it does not seem stupid. NASA, with its intelligent designs, has given us many of the wonderful technologies we take for granted today. Investing in the fine arts and exploration and scientific discovery on Earth, as well as in space, is one of the central differences between humans and the rest of the animals on this planet.
  6. 24 May '13 14:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Doesn't it seem stupid how our governments are wasting so much of our resources in space, when there is so much we should be doing on earth?

    The Instructor
    What should governments be doing that is currently not possible because of space exploration?