1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 May '22 13:39
    https://www.space.com/nasa-requests-public-comment-mars-sample-return

NASA wants your input on its Mars sample return project

NASA is asking the public to comment on an environmental assessment for its Mars sample return effort.

The project, a collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA), aims to bring to Earth samples gathered by the Perseverance Mars rover, perhaps as early as 2033. Once they're here, scientists in labs around the world will scrutinize them for signs of Mars life and clues about the Red Planet's evolutionary history.

Comments are due May 16 either online or by mail. The agency also plans to hold two virtual public meetings at this link. The meetings will be Wednesday (May 4) at 3 p.m. EDT (1900 GMT) and Thursday (May 5) at 8 p.m. EDT (0000 GMT on Friday, May 6).
  2. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    10 May '22 22:441 edit
    @vivify said
    https://www.space.com/nasa-requests-public-comment-mars-sample-return

NASA wants your input on its Mars sample return project

NASA is asking the public to comment on an environmental assessment for its Mars sample return effort.

The project, a collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA), aims to bring to Earth samples gathered by the Perseverance ...[text shortened]... 4) at 3 p.m. EDT (1900 GMT) and Thursday (May 5) at 8 p.m. EDT (0000 GMT on Friday, May 6).
    What?

We have until May 16 to comment on an environmental assessment for a sample return effort.
    And this has to do with samples of Mars dirt that won't get here for another 11+ years?
    I don't get it.
    Why would NASA want or need the publics input? Are they worried about public support and funding for future missions?

Edit: Okay, I get it now. They want to know how concerned I might be over NASA returning some kind of alien virus, or egg that could hatch and grow inside me until my chest pops open and out comes a scary predator capable of killing all animal life (but not cats) on earth.
    If that's what they want to know then yes, I am VERY concerned and fearful for my life. Stop screwing around and just shoot the d☆☆☆ thing to smithereens before it gets here!
  3. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    11 May '22 16:471 edit
    @kilroy70 said
    What?

We have until May 16 to comment on an environmental assessment for a sample return effort.
    And this has to do with samples of Mars dirt that won't get here for another 11+ years?
    I don't get it.
    Why would NASA want or need the publics input? Are they worried about public support and funding for future missions?

Edit: Okay, I get it now. They want to know how c ...[text shortened]... for my life. Stop screwing around and just shoot the d☆☆☆ thing to smithereens before it gets here!
    I should have seen this coming.

I got an email this morning from NASA. All it said was "We don't want your input."

Okay. Fair enough.
    But if you guys (and gals) bring back an alien virus, or cat loving predator, it won't be MY fault.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '22 22:55
    @Kilroy70
    You are a bit paranoid. The probes have looked for years finding nothing and anything lifelike on the surface would be torn apart by UV light from the sun, life does not like UV light.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree