1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '10 16:22
    http://www.physorg.com/news194411869.html

It seems the active ingredient in rice soup was used to make the mortar to bind rocks in the making of walls and buildings and now they figured out the exact reason. It also seems like a sure bet for individuals around the world to make sure their own walls last as long as the Chinese ones since rice soup is so cheap.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '10 18:331 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It also seems like a sure bet for individuals around the world to make sure their own walls last as long as the Chinese ones since rice soup is so cheap.
    Is rice soup cheap?

I see from the article, that the main ingredient is lime - as in cement. So why would the resulting mixture be easier and cheaper to manufacture than cement?

I also suspect is it not as strong as cement. The only comparison they give is with traditional lime mortar.

I have lived in houses in Livingstone built with lime mortar. It works quite well if kept dry. It isn't nearly as strong as cement though.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 May '10 19:44
    Well they did invent the things. I'd hope their mortars worked well. Just don't point them at me.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '10 19:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Well they did invent the things. I'd hope their mortars worked well. Just don't point them at me.
    N'uck N'uck N'uck🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree