1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 May '23 15:07
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41557-023-01166-5

Those guys developed a cool method to obtain a quasicrytallic liquid crystal.

The text is also very well written and is a great example how you can obtain a result by carefully tuning properties of molcules and taking enough time to really understand the results of your analysis
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jun '23 05:55
    @Ponderable
    I could only read the abstract, they want 30 bucks to get the article.
    So any idea of freezing point, boiling, vapor, PH, viscosity?
    Is this just a first piece on this work, to be expanded to similar molecules?
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jul '23 07:36
    Ah ok, so there are phase transitions at 66°C and about 88°C on heating and at about 83 for cooling. As of the specific nature of quasicrystals pinpointing melt temperatures as in "normal" crystals is not to be expected.

Viscosity data have not been published.

The point of the research is to create a molecule (here a crown ether attached to a rigid aromatic structure, where also two rather long chains have been attached via ether connections at the end. (And yes there is a IUPAC name)
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Jul '23 18:49
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable
    I could only read the abstract, they want 30 bucks to get the article.
    So any idea of freezing point, boiling, vapor, PH, viscosity?
    Is this just a first piece on this work, to be expanded to similar molecules?
    A little more can be gleaned from here:
    https://www.chemeurope.com/en/news/1180453/surprising-discovery-researchers-discover-liquid-quasicrystal-with-dodecagonal-tiling-pattern.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree