1. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 18:10
    Given that permits and inspection fees are almost as much as the inverter and other electrical fittings, simply find a way to make the permits and inspection fees cheaper might be easier than cutting inverter costs.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 18:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Given that permits and inspection fees are almost as much as the inverter and other electrical fittings, simply find a way to make the permits and inspection fees cheaper might be easier than cutting inverter costs.
    Yes, but they are separate issues, and each one is independent of the other so gains in either is still gains and it could very well be gains in both.

Don't forget, the inverter transformers get rather large quickly depending on the power required. I 1 Kw version might not be that big but 100 Kw and you are talking about some significant hardware. Homes would need something like 2 to 3 KW on the roof to make the house self supporting and even that amount of energy is going to need a rather large inverter.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 18:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Don't forget, the inverter transformers get rather large quickly depending on the power required. I 1 Kw version might not be that big but 100 Kw and you are talking about some significant hardware. Homes would need something like 2 to 3 KW on the roof to make the house self supporting and even that amount of energy is going to need a rather large inverter.
    An alternative is to have a small inverter on every panel. They cost more overall but are more reliable and have some benefits.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 18:57
    Perhaps you would care to tell us why you haven't installed solar yet? What price point must it reach before you install it?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 13:38
    Perhaps you would care to tell us why you haven't installed solar yet? What price point must it reach before you install it?
    Waiting till those new inverters arrive🙂 Seriously, right now, broke.

The thing is, first we need good insulation, between gas and electric bill, adds to about $650 a month. After good insulation, solar may cut bills.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 14:18
    Waiting till those new inverters arrive🙂 Seriously, right now, broke.
    So am I right that a 20% reduction in the price of solar would not result in you purchasing a system?

Does Solar City operate in your state? They can arrange for financing so that it won't cost you a cent. Of course whether solar is worth it depends on your local conditions (sunlight, roof angle, state subsidies, and more).

The thing is, first we need good insulation, between gas and electric bill, adds to about $650 a month. After good insulation, solar may cut bills.
    You don't seem to understand how solar works.
    If your current bill is say $1650 per month and solar is 20% cheaper than utility power, you might save $330
    If you do all your insulating and bring it down to $1000 per month, the saving from solar drops to only $200.
    Clearly the time to get solar is now as the savings will be even greater. And you can use those savings to pay for the insulation!
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 15:092 edits
    So am I right that a 20% reduction in the price of solar would not result in you purchasing a system?

Does Solar City operate in your state? They can arrange for financing so that it won't cost you a cent. Of course whether solar is worth it depends on your local conditions (sunlight, roof angle, state subsidies, and more).

[b]The thing is, first we ...[text shortened]... ow as the savings will be even greater. And you can use those savings to pay for the insulation!
    Don't know about Solar City, will check it out. One thing adding to bills is son and his family living with us, not paying a penny in rent. Adds to water usage, electricity, and gas.

I think they are finally moving out in a month or so. After that, our bills will go down automatically.

Water is now about $500 every three months, electricity and gas together about $650 total about $815 US a month for utilities.

The water bill after they leave should be more like $100/month and gas/electric about 500 so total about $600 a month. Before insulation. After insulation and before solar, the gas/elec should go down to about $400 + 100 for water so about $500 a month for utilities. I am refinancing house now to give me $50K after all bills are paid so now am paying $1250 for house, $815 for utilities and about $800 for other bills. About $2900, call it $3000 a month right now with the parasites living with us🙂

After refinance, and living alone(wife and I), finally, bills will be $1150 for house, nothing for other bills, and $600 ish for utilities, total $1800/month plus gas and food and stuff. But that puts us down far enough I can MAYBE finally retire. Maybe. I would go from $85K /yr to about $30K which is a big step down but doable. So add solar to the mix, maybe the utility bills go down another $200/month to $1600 total/month or so. We'll see. Have to check out this Solar City thing. Right now I am looking at a 2 cm stack of frigging paperwork for the refinance. Ugh.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 15:21
    My electricity comes to about R650 per month which is about US$38. Water is included in the rent.
    It may sound cheap but I also earn considerably less due to not being born in the US.

I rent a flat so have no say in going solar.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 16:15
    My electricity comes to about R650 per month which is about US$38. Water is included in the rent.
    It may sound cheap but I also earn considerably less due to not being born in the US.

I rent a flat so have no say in going solar.
    Yeah, our money probably buys about the same thing in our respective countries.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 16:30
    Yeah, our money probably buys about the same thing in our respective countries.
    No, it doesn't. Sticking with the official exchange rate, anything electronic is cheaper for you than for me. Rent or house prices would be lower here. Food is probably cheaper there. Fuel is cheaper there. Medical care is cheaper here.
    My electricity bill is much lower than yours because there are only two of us in the house and we don't require heating. Electricity is probably a bit cheaper here.

In terms of what you can buy and the lifestyle you can live you are better off. I would expect to earn five to ten times more if I lived there.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 21:40
    Don't know about Solar City, will check it out.
    The list of states they work in is here:
    http://www.solarcity.com/company/about

I am not saying they are the best. I only know about them through the link to Elon Musk whose work I admire. I do know that they have been very successful largely because they change the equation from you making an upfront investment to you immediately seeing savings on your power bill. They are not the first to think of that, but they have been the most successful at implementing it.
    I do encourage you to shop around.

The main reason why solar adoption has not been more widespread is that it requires an investment from the individual house owner. Humans are notoriously bad at investments. The same way mortgages revolutionise house ownership, getting financing for solar systems completely changes the equation for solar. The problem now is that most people simply don't know about it. But now that you do, 'too much paperwork' seems like a poor excuse for not getting savings on your monthly bill.

In addition, for best results it requires the local utility to be willing to buy excess power in the day and sell it back at night - essentially acting as a battery. Many utilities do not want solar power so they are resistant to this scheme.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 21:47
    The list of states they work in is here:
    http://www.solarcity.com/company/about

I am not saying they are the best. I only know about them through the link to Elon Musk whose work I admire. I do know that they have been very successful largely because they change the equation from you making an upfront investment to you immediately seeing savings on yo ...[text shortened]... cting as a battery. Many utilities do not want solar power so they are resistant to this scheme.
    It looks like my state, Pennsylvania, is one in that net. I'll check them out. I wonder if we can sell the excess uploading that energy into the grid?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree