1. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 05:45
    http://www.physorg.com/news112629692.html

World's hottest chile pepper discovered
    October 26, 2007

Bhut Jolokia, a variety of chile pepper originating in Assam, India, has earned Guiness World Records’ recognition as the world’s hottest chile pepper by blasting past the previous champion Red Savina. In replicated tests of Scoville heat units (SHUs), Bhut Jolokia reached one million SHUs, almost double the SHUs of Red Savina, which measured a mere 577,000.

Dr. Paul Bosland, Director of the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University’s Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences collected seeds of Bhut Jolokia while visiting India in 2001. Bosland grew Bhut Jolokia plants under insect-proof cages for three years to produce enough seed to complete the required field tests.

“The name Bhut Jolokia translates as ‘ghost chile,’” Bosland said, “I think it’s because the chile is so hot, you give up the ghost when you eat it!” Bosland added that the intense heat concentration of Bhut Jolokia could have significant impact on the food industry as an economical seasoning in packaged foods.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 03:33
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.physorg.com/news112629692.html

World's hottest chile pepper discovered
    October 26, 2007

Bhut Jolokia, a variety of chile pepper originating in Assam, India, has earned Guiness World Records’ recognition as the world’s hottest chile pepper by blasting past the previous champion Red Savina. In replicated tests of Scoville heat units (SHUs) ...[text shortened]... ould have significant impact on the food industry as an economical seasoning in packaged foods.
    That's so hot you'd think it would melt on the bush🙂
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 05:01
    Yea, I was hunting for a place to eat in Mexico which had really hot food. Someone directed me to a place they said was known for the hottest food.

When I went into the room and sat down someone came dressed in an abestos suit. He had metal tongs and a molten hot liquid inside what looked like a lead cannister.

I told the waiter that perhaps this place's food was really too hot for me, judging from that molten liquid. He said "Oh, that's just the drink to wash it down."
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 22:33
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Yea, I was hunting for a place to eat in Mexico which had really hot food. Someone directed me to a place they said was known for the hottest food.

When I went into the room and sat down someone came dressed in an abestos suit. He had metal tongs and a molten hot liquid inside what looked like a lead cannister.

I told the waiter that perhaps this pla ...[text shortened]... or me, judging from that molten liquid. He said "Oh, that's just the drink to wash it down."
    There was one hotter, known as pyromensis Firensis, and it's rating was over 10 million but before it could grow to full size it burned itself to a crisp and the whole species was lost.
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 01:14
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jydGneXCtMu4nXT9mm7lMWQBM2WA

Boys in hospital after chilli dare

(UKPA) – 16 hours ago

Officials in Germany say eight teenagers had to be treated in hospital after a test of courage in which they drank chilli sauce more than 200 times hotter than normal.

The Red Cross in the southern city of Augsburg says 10 boys, aged 13 and 14, drank the sauce while they were at school.

The German news agency DAPD quoted the Red Cross as saying the boys complained of feeling sick, and eight were taken to a hospital. They were kept in overnight for observation.

The Red Cross said that on the Scoville scale, which measures the hotness of sauce, the sauce measured 535,000 - compared to 2,500 for normal Tabasco sauce.
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 05:46
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jydGneXCtMu4nXT9mm7lMWQBM2WA

Boys in hospital after chilli dare

(UKPA) – 16 hours ago

Officials in Germany say eight teenagers had to be treated in hospital after a test of courage in which they drank chilli sauce more than 200 times hotter than normal.

The Red Cross in the southern city of ...[text shortened]... s the hotness of sauce, the sauce measured 535,000 - compared to 2,500 for normal Tabasco sauce.
    Ah those Germans. Laugh a minute funmeisters.