1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 07:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Considering how many US and Russian launches have failed, its really not that bad. Just getting into orbit puts you in the top 10 countries in the world. (just)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_first_orbital_launches_by_country
    yes, launch failures are common, but how many of the US and Russian satellites have been fired into orbit tumbling wildly out of control endangering other satellites?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 09:22
    Originally posted by humy
    yes, launch failures are common, but how many of the US and Russian satellites have been fired into orbit tumbling wildly out of control endangering other satellites?
    We already know of one instance where a Russian satellite collided with a Chinese one.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 09:25
    Originally posted by mikelom
    So does America, apparently... according to Korean news programs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Kq78G2nxA&feature=share

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

-m. πŸ˜‰
    I haven't seen anything this funny since Marijuana MadnessπŸ™‚
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 18:07
    LOL. The idiots!
    So they fire a satellite into orbit tumbling wildly totally out of control endangering other satellites!
    What a hilarious shameful outrageous display of total incompetence!
    LOL

I wonder what excuse they give?
    I mean, how would they put a spin on this? (no pun intended)
    Perhaps they would say this was a heroic deliberate attack on enemy satellites!?
    Perhaps the USA used an anti-satellite weapon to disable it. I could imagine that being done just to prove a point to the DPRK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-satellite_weapon
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 21:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We already know of one instance where a Russian satellite collided with a Chinese one.
    I didn't know that.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 21:404 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    So does America, apparently... according to Korean news programs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Kq78G2nxA&feature=share

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

-m. πŸ˜‰
    LOL. I didn't watch that video until just now and it really is hilarious! So Americans are living in tents, have eaten all the birds (because they are starving?) and drink coffee made from melted snow. The video keeps repeating this same message again and again as if we didn't hear it the first time.
    Oh, and Americans are only 'entitled' to just ONE cup of this coffee for most days -for some reason. And the weather in America is always 'freezing', apparently.
    I take it America never gets a summer then? Oh, and the telephones no longer work because “there is nobody to call” -what the hell is that supposed to mean?
    And some “lucky people” are "allowed" beds on the floor.
    For some reason, they mentioned “homosexuals” -I have absolutely no idea why whatsoever.
    And right at the end of the video, some North Koreans give one poor American some “North Korean coffee” out of sympathy I presume. And “democratic” North Korea is giving Americans free handouts to all those poor Americans.
    I wonder, who, if anyone, would actually believes all that crap?
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 22:46
    LOL. I didn't watch that video until just now and it really is hilarious! So Americans are living in tents, have eaten all the birds (because they are starving?) and drink coffee made from melted snow. The video keeps repeating this same message again and again as if we didn't hear it the first time.
    Oh, and Americans are only 'entitled' to just ONE cup of th ...[text shortened]... those poor Americans.
    I wonder, who, if anyone, would actually believes all that crap?
    How do you now the translations are accurate? It could be really messed up American propaganda for all you know. It is hard to tell.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 07:332 edits
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    How do you now the translations are accurate? It could be really messed up American propaganda for all you know. It is hard to tell.
    I think if that was true then somebody would have pointed it out by now.
    I don't believe it to be likely that 'the Americans' (which ones?) would be so stupid as to just voice-over deliberate mistranslations esp knowing the inevitability of many people noticing and pointing out such mistranslations.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 15:41
    I think if that was true then somebody would have pointed it out by now.
    I don't believe it to be likely that 'the Americans' (which ones?) would be so stupid as to just voice-over deliberate mistranslations esp knowing the inevitability of many people noticing and pointing out such mistranslations.
    Any idiot American could have dubbed a voice over it as a joke. It is just too ridiculous too fool any North Koreans. They are not that stupid.
  10. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 15:59
    If a nation has the proven capability to build and detonate nuclear bombs how hard is it to make them small enough to put on a rocket?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9738806/North-Korea-rocket-launch-satellite-successfully-sent-into-orbit.html

Once a nuclear bomb is put into orbit how hard is it to drop it from orbit to the mainland USA to detonate?
    Aside from the dangers already mentioned about accidental detonation when launching, it would require a lot of energy to get it up there into orbit.

Let's assume that they were willing to do that. If they then want to have it come down at a specific point, they would have to change its orbital course, slow it down and have it guided towards its target (also assuming that it also has line of sight to get the signal).

It will be far quicker, easier and more efficient to just have it launched from the surface, heading the right direction, and with the help of gravity, take a parabolic path towards its target.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 16:57
    Any idiot American could have dubbed a voice over it as a joke. It is just too ridiculous too fool any North Koreans. They are not that stupid.
    Anyone:
    does anyone here know how to translate the language of North Korea and listen to the video to tell us if it has been mistranslated?
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 18:07
    Anyone:
    does anyone here know how to translate the language of North Korea and listen to the video to tell us if it has been mistranslated?
    That is my point. Few people would know if it is a hoax even if it was a Korean cooking program dubbed over the film. Only someone fluent in Korean would know.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 20:08
    Anyone:
    My korean is terrible, but it is not a one to one translation (but translation never is). I am fairly sure that the voice over is making it up as he goes along.
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 06:05
    I think we have ASAT(anti satellite) missiles(that could knock it down) and interceptor missile for Ballistic missiles. I think the one they launched recently was said to be tumbling around up there randomly not in a stable orbit so if it were a nuclear device there not in control of the thing it's just floating around up there.

Manny
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 06:20
    http://www.northkoreatech.org/2012/12/15/tracking-north-koreas-satellite/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree