number of post

Standard memberRemoved
Science 19 Jan '13 08:51
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 08:51
    If you look down the list, the number of post in each thread is predominately odd, can anyone explain why this is the case?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 08:55
    You would expect to have a slight majority of threads with an odd number of posts because you start with an odd number (1).
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 11:05
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You would expect to have a slight majority of threads with an odd number of posts because you start with an odd number (1).
    And a lot of threads die with only 1 post. But it's not enough to explain the preponderance of threads with an odd number of posts, because the preponderance remains even if the one-post threads are not counted. I think much of the rest of the phenomenon can be explained by threads that "almost" die but eke one response from someone to whom the thread's creator almost invariably replies. This results in a fair number of threads that die at 3, and also (less so) at 5.

Speaking of funny patterns, at this writing there are three threads on the first page of the debate forum that have exactly 20 posts, and not only that, they're all clustered together!
  4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 Jan '13 16:01
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    And a lot of threads die with only 1 post. But it's not enough to explain the preponderance of threads with an odd number of posts, because the preponderance remains even if the one-post threads are not counted. I think much of the rest of the phenomenon can be explained by threads that "almost" die but eke one response from someone to whom the thread's ...[text shortened]... debate forum that have exactly 20 posts, and not only that, they're all clustered together!
    As long as the world doesn't come to an end or something just think of all the threads that do not have any posts at all yet.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Jan '13 01:51
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    As long as the world doesn't come to an end or something just think of all the threads that do not have any posts at all yet.
    That is an interesting collection.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree