1. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Sep '14 17:33
    Originally posted by humy
    I think your intuition is rather different from mine.
    My point is that it is best not to use intuition when it is well known that both influences are significant. Wait for the science.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Sep '14 19:211 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You appear to misunderstand existentialism.
    Hardly, your opinion is meaningless, to the existentialist all that matters are acts, acts are the defining criteria, not genetics.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Sep '14 19:23
    ...people have a 'less rewarding', experience with food which may lead to being more susceptible to obesity (according to the link )

Yes, that is very clearly implied by the link.

This is misleading

why misleading? If some people being more predisposed to being obese is the truth, its not misleading to explain w ...[text shortened]... morally responsible for his actions? I would call that diminished responsibility (legal term ) .
    I never read anyone when they quote myself back to me, your words are wasted, I was perfectly aware of what I wrote the first time.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    10 Sep '14 21:275 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I never read anyone when they quote myself back to me, your words are wasted, I was perfectly aware of what I wrote the first time.
    wow! that is wildly unreasonable! So we are now not allowed to quote any of your quote's that we are responding to so to make clear which ones we are responding to?
    Too afraid of debate?
    Just cannot handle criticism?
    Or too offended by us debunking specific assertions of yours and having a tantrum over it?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 15:57
    Too afraid of debate?
    Just cannot handle criticism?
    Or too offended by us debunking specific assertions of yours and having a tantrum over it?
    His real fear is that reading it might influence his opinion, but since he is committed to holding himself morally accountable for that opinion, he chooses to avoid reading it in the first place.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 17:308 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    His real fear is that reading it might influence his opinion, but since he is committed to holding himself morally accountable for that opinion, he chooses to avoid reading it in the first place.
    That's terrible!
    I'm appalled.
    Close one's eyes and hands over ears shouting "La La La La I will not listen to reason that might change by beliefs so will not listen to you La La La La"

Refusal to listen to reason or look at the evidence is the mark of an arrogant delusional mind.

Reminds me of the attitude by a representative of the pope when Galileo asked him to look through his telescope at the newly discovered four moons of Jupiter, something the pope believed was impossible, he answered: "I refuse to look at something which my religion tells me cannot exist."
    ( Someone once told be the words were actually "I refuse to look through the telescope". Don't know which is correct but it was words of that effect )
    You just cannot reason with people like that.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 18:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Hardly, your opinion is meaningless, to the existentialist all that matters are acts, acts are the defining criteria, not genetics.
    But surely you accept that genetics play a role?
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 01:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Clearly there are other factors that are present in the US but not countries that have not experienced this epidemic.
    Yes: Twinkies. Lots and lots of Twinkies. And Ding Dongs, Ho Hos, and Moon Pies.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 08:17
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Yes: Twinkies. Lots and lots of Twinkies. And Ding Dongs, Ho Hos, and Moon Pies.
    I just blame cake
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 16:41
    Why so many of us (like myself) have no difficultly whatsoever effortlessly staying slim while so many of us (like my mother ) seem to find it so hard to avoid overeating and becoming obese despite endless attempts at dieting with diets that never seem to work?

According to this new study, it all about differences in brain chemistry:

http://medicalxpress. ...[text shortened]... ogically compensates by making that up with greater volume of food making her naturally overeat.
    Original Post Topic Numerator: "Obesity"

Key Denominator Variable: Human Volition

Volitional Quadrant:

A-1 Good Decisions from a Position of Strength; A-2 Good Decisions from a Position of Weakness;

B-1 Bad Decisions from a Position of Strength; B-2 Bad Decisions from a Position of Weakness.

Footnote: This bare bones graphic [no pun intended] may apply to many other desirable/undesirable outcomes in life. imo
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Sep '14 18:57
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Original Post Topic Numerator: "Obesity"

Key Denominator Variable: Human Volition

[quote]Volitional Quadrant:

A-1 Good Decisions from a Position of Strength; A-2 Good Decisions from a Position of Weakness;

B-1 Bad Decisions from a Position of Strength; B-2 Bad Decisions from a Position of ...[text shortened]... es graphic [no pun intended] may apply to many other desirable/undesirable outcomes in life. imo
    Footnote Two: There's another "Key Denominator Variable" I've noticed in an obese neighbor: Compensatory Behaviour.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '14 18:57
    Try cutting out your thyroid and see if you still can't gain weight.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Sep '14 19:06
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Try cutting out your thyroid and see if you still can't gain weight.
    Family member or friend undergo a thyroidectomy?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '14 19:19
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Family member or friend undergo a thyroidectomy?
    No, but I have heard stories about how once the thyroid went it was impossible to lose weight and easy to gain it.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 20:44
    Originally posted by Eladar
    No, but I have heard stories about how once the thyroid went it was impossible to lose weight and easy to gain it.
    Medications ineffective?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree