1. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 06:072 edits
    Originally posted by timebombted
    Removing a top predator from any ecosystem can be very detrimental for more reasons than just a surplus at the next trophic level.

Finning is barbaric and unsustainable.

Its not your ocean, and I'd gladly protect any shark species over people like yourself. No shark should be hunted down just because a surfer / swimmer got biten whilst in the shark ark situation. We are in their water, the risk is ours, if they attack they are not to blame.
    As a marine Biologist then you will be all too aware that the GBR houses
    the planets richest variety of fish. That the GBR is losing hundreds,
    if not thousaands of those varieties each year.
    It seems to me that if you were to deliberately remove a species from
    the food chain, then the top is a pretty good place to start.
    No other species rely upon them as food and it's a lot easier to farm
    foods relied upon by their prey (e.g. molluscs) than it is to farm
    the prey itself (e.g. fish).

- No shark should be hunted down just because a surfer / swimmer got biten whilst in the sharks territory, even if its a common species.

"The swimmer was about 30 meters out in chest-deep water, about to wade ashore, when the shark attacked."
    http://cdbaby.com/cd/oceansounds

This is a family swimming area, the shark's got plenty of ocean to
    hang out in. Are you suggesting that it's entirely the persons fault
    for stepping foot in the sea and that the shark is entirely innocent
    by means of diminished responsibility?
  2. Australia
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 22:08
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    As a marine Biologist then you will be all too aware that the GBR houses
    the planets richest variety of fish. That the GBR is losing hundreds,
    if not thousaands of those varieties each year.
    It seems to me that if you were to deliberately remove a species from
    the food chain, then the top is a pretty good place to start.
    No other species rely upon th ...[text shortened]... in the sea and that the shark is entirely innocent
    by means of diminished responsibility?
    Agreed the GBR is one of the most species rich areas on the planet (no one argued it wasn't), although the current loss of species is not being caused by an excess of sharks. Habitat destruction (i.e the coral itself) from pollution, climate change, and other anthropogenic causes are the largest contributor.

Removing a top predator is sometimes beneficial, maybe if they are present in plague proportions......... however no shark is presently at such large numbers. There would be no benefit for the oceans if we were to cull sharks, its a stupid idea to be honest.

As soon as you step foot into the oceans you have to accept the risk of being in the presence of a miriad of other species. Is the shark to blame, no! You seem to be suggesting the shark should be informed of human swimming areas and adhere to this policy........ clearly another stupid idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree