1. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 04:48
    What is the theory on their exsitance and can actions in one influence events in another?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 05:352 edits
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    What is the theory on their exsitance and can actions in one influence events in another?
    There are lots of them and they're very complicated. I don't know if I understand any of them at all. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse#Non-scientific_claims

Two of the simpler ones seem to have the "universes" separated by space or time. In the former case, the idea (I think) is that in an infinite space matter will come to be arranged similarly - identical or almost identical - to in our own observable universe and so there are versions of ourselves far, far away right now - too far to interact with though. The prediction in the Wiki article has it as being probably about 10^118 meters away. The limit of the speed of light makes that too far to interact with in any reasonable amount of time.

Another version in which the Big Bang is later followed by a "Big Crunch" followed by a "Big Bang" followed by a "Big Crunch" etc. treats the "universes" as separated by TIME. If we could survive beyond the end of the universes we could possibly interact with the next one...far, far, in the future...

Basically the time it takes to interact in both situations is so long that it's practically impossible (longer than the age of the universe, for example).

Those are the ones that seem easiest to understand. There are more abstract ones too.

M-theory makes no intuitive sense but claims gravity can go from one of their kinds of universes to another one. This makes a third kind of "alternate universe" with another version of you all of which might be true! So we have some versions of you impossibly far away; other versions of you which will exist after this universe ends, and others who existed before this universes was born. All of these will take too long to conceivably interact with, but the M-theory alternate universes can be interacted with maybe with gravity...then there's something about universes being quantumly entanged with ours which proves some astronomical phenomenon or something...
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 05:43
    So, could you say that if I made a decision to get up from my desk and make a coffee there is another universe where I would stay at my desk?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 05:471 edit
    So, could you say that if I made a decision to get up from my desk and make a coffee there is another universe where I would stay at my desk?
    According to all those models of reality yes. Are they true? I have no idea and nobody else does either, but it seems perfectly reasonable.

A really cool aspect of this is that elsewhere there are versions of you having the greatest happiness imaginable. A creepy part is that there are versions of you in horrific agony. I don't like to think about multiple universes too much.

I think it's important to note what each one means by "another universe". In the first case the "other universe" is just really far away. The second case, it's the same universe, but reincarnated, and the third one - I have no clue.
  5. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 05:50
    Hadn't thought of the whole agony thing. You could really make yourself sick if you thought about it too much.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 06:13
    In an alternate universe you decided not to put the question here, because you thought that you wouldn't get a good answer anyway.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 03:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    In an alternate universe you decided not to put the question here, because you thought that you wouldn't get a good answer anyway.
    And in yet another universe, you were walking down the street and kicked a ball which hit a newspaper out of which flew a 50 million dollar winning lottery ticket.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree