1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 01:19
    http://phys.org/news/2013-11-physicists-quantum-cheshire-cats-paradoxes.html

This carries weird to another level!

The photon goes one way and the polarization goes on another path entirely.

I can see how the photon, a bundle of electromagnetic energy propagating in that field and so forth but the POLARIZATION? How can it possibly PROPAGATE? And they say the same thing can happen to electrons and so forth. Is it safe to say the polarization travels at the speed of light?
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 07:38
    Strange indeed.

Some of us will remember Yakir Aharonov from our quantum theory classes, in connection with the Aharonov-Bohm solenoid interference effect. I'm a bit surprised he is still alive.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 11:28
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Strange indeed.

Some of us will remember Yakir Aharonov from our quantum theory classes, in connection with the Aharonov-Bohm solenoid interference effect. I'm a bit surprised he is still alive.
    What is that?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 12:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is that?
    The double-slit experiment is done with a solenoid that can be switched on and off. Outside the solenoid the E & B fields are null, so classically the charged particles going through the slits should not be affected by the on/off status of the solenoid. But the vector potential A is nonzero outside the solenoid, affecting the phases of the particles differently depending on whether they pass right or left of the solenoid--thereby shifting the interference pattern when the solenoid switch is flipped.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree