1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 13:36
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylogenetics

This is the science of classifying organisms into the tree of life. RJ may bitch about the timeline but nobody can deny the validity of the actual tree of life. We can see the actual changes of DNA from species to species now, the complete genome of many species is coming on line, new ones monthly.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 14:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    .... but nobody can deny the validity of the actual tree of life.
    I think you totally underestimate the human capacity for denial.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 14:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think you totally underestimate the human capacity for denial.
    He swims in denial a lot! And there are alligators and hippo's there🙂
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 15:04
    He swims in denial a lot! And there are alligators and hippo's there🙂
    Actually it's crocodiles in denile...
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 15:59
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Actually it's crocodiles in denile...
    That's right. We swam in the Nile but in a safe area. You don't want to get a hippo mad at you, they don't give quarter🙂
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 03:101 edit
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylogenetics

This is the science of classifying organisms into the tree of life. RJ may bitch about the timeline but nobody can deny the validity of the actual tree of life. We can see the actual changes of DNA from species to species now, the complete genome of many species is coming on line, new ones monthly.
    A phylogenetic tree is just a hypothesis of the order in which evilutionary events are assumed to have occurred. A hypothesis is an unproven assumption or speculation. That is, it amounts to a guess about evilution.

The Instructor
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 08:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    A phylogenetic tree is just a hypothesis of the order in which evilutionary events are assumed to have occurred. A hypothesis is an unproven assumption or speculation. That is, it amounts to a guess about evilution.

The Instructor
    A phylogenetic tree is just a hypothesis of the order in which evilutionary events are assumed to have occurred.

No, not hypothesis nor mearely assumed because the fact of the phylogenetic tree has been established via the irrefutable evidence.

A hypothesis is an unproven assumption or speculation.

Not necessarily.

In science, a hypothesis means specifically a scientific hypothesis. And:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothesis
    “For a hypothesis to be a scientific hypothesis, the scientific method requires that one can test it.”(my emphasis)

so a scientific hypothesis is more than just any kind of 'assumption', it is an assumption that is testable.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 13:051 edit

The Instructor
    In your heart you WISH it was all guesswork. The thing is, it is not guesswork when we say a duck is a different species from a penguin. That is not a guess. We KNOW they are different species. All the evolutionary tree puts forth is to note the differences in the DNA of each species and put them in some kind of order. That is ALL it does and that is not guesswork. It is exactly the same as in chemistry where we figured out the periodic tables and were able to classify elements by atomic mass and chemical characteristics. Those are not guesses either.

The heart of all your pseudoscientific BS is you can't STAND the idea that some people are A) Smarter than you and B) We are actually, as a race, figuring out stuff for real that you think should be in the realm of god's knowledge and should therefore forever be unavailable to mankind.

The problem is we are endowed with intelligence of a high order, some MUCH higher than others and those few have intelligence that can rival a god. THAT is your main gripe. That we CAN aspire to godlike intelligence and creativity. Just look at the work of Isaac Newton or Beethoven, pretty darn close to god like creativity where NOTHING like it was around in either of their worlds before them.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 13:266 edits
    In your heart you WISH it was all guesswork. The thing is, it is not guesswork when we say a duck is a different species from a penguin. That is not a guess. We KNOW they are different species. All the evolutionary tree puts forth is to note the differences in the DNA of each species and put them in some kind of order. That is ALL it does and that is not gu to god like creativity where NOTHING like it was around in either of their worlds before them.
    It is exactly the same as in chemistry where we figured out the periodic tables and were able to classify elements by atomic mass and chemical characteristics.

Just think, if these Creationist had strong religious reason to reject the existence of atoms, they would call the periodic tables “just illustrations” and would say “nobody has ever seen an atom, so it is just pure blind guess work i.e. blind faith that they exist.” and "where is this so called vast mountain of evidence that atoms exist? I have never seen any of it" and
    “it all just personal opinion” and “you CHOOSE to believe in atoms because you WANT to believe in atoms because you are angry with God” and make out that all of us atom-believers are both stupid and immoral and point to some atom-believers that have commit atrocities and how the immoral belief in atoms is just one slippery step down the slippery slope of causing the ultimate evil of making and using the "so-called" "atom bomb” that has murdered millions etc.
    -we would hear just no end of their usual crap.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 13:32
    Originally posted by humy
    It is exactly the same as in chemistry where we figured out the periodic tables and were able to classify elements by atomic mass and chemical characteristics.

Just think, if these Creationist had strong religious reason to reject the existence of atoms, they would call the periodic tables “just illustrations” and would say “nobody has ev ...[text shortened]... -called “atom bomb” that has murdered millions etc. -we would hear no end of their usual crap.
    Don't give them ideas.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 17:31
    A phylogenetic tree is just a [b]hypothesis of the order in which evilutionary events are assumed to have occurred.

No, not hypothesis nor mearely assumed because the fact of the phylogenetic tree has been established via the irrefutable evidence.

[quote] A hypothesis is an unproven assumption or speculation. ...[text shortened]... ] hypothesis is more than just any kind of 'assumption', it is an assumption that is testable.[/b]
    I will state it in a more simple way to you. A phylogenetic tree is an imaginary fairy tale tree representing the order of events in the imaginary fairy tale of evilution.

The Instructor
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 18:23
    I will state it in a more simple way to you. A phylogenetic tree is an imaginary fairy tale tree representing the order of events in the imaginary fairy tale of evilution.

The Instructor
    So how does it feel to be a relic passed on by the rest of the world? You would have been one of those 100 years ago saying if we were meant to fly we would have been given wings.

You are just a voice klanging against the walls of your built in brain barrier.
  13. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 20:26

Just think, if these Creationist had strong religious reason to reject the existence of atoms, they would call the periodic tables “just illustrations” and would say “nobody has ev ...[text shortened]... tom bomb” that has murdered millions etc.
    Best post of the day. I would feel equally as silly arguing with Atom Deniers. 🙂
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 21:21

Just think, if these Creationist had strong religious reason to reject the existence of atoms, they would call the periodic tables “just illustrations” and would say “nobody has ev ...[text shortened]... tom bomb” that has murdered millions etc.
    No, it is not the same as the Periodic Tables.

The Instructor
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 21:355 edits
    No, it is not the same as the Periodic Tables.

The Instructor
    yes, I know. That is what I implied i.e. the periodic tables do not equate with being “just illustrations” (because they represent a real and meaningful classification of atoms)
    OK, I am guessing that is not what you really meant by "it" in "No, it is not the same as the Periodic Tables." and not sure what you meant but not sure if I want to know so will not ask.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree