1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    06 Jun '17 19:48
    http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170404-the-physics-that-tells-us-what-the-universe-is-made-of
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    06 Jun '17 22:26
    Cave man figured out physics. Kinda lets move on now.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    07 Jun '17 08:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170404-the-physics-that-tells-us-what-the-universe-is-made-of
    Electrons in orbit around the nucleus? Is Bohr's model still alive?

    61 (known) particles, and this is only 5% of the universe? Where will better knowledge of black matter and energy lead us?

    Not so much cave men physics, is it? 😉
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    07 Jun '17 09:19
    Originally posted by apathist
    Cave man figured out physics. Kinda lets move on now.
    But it took Newton to discover that objects fall. 🙂
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    07 Jun '17 11:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But it took Newton to discover that objects fall. 🙂
    Nah, dinosaurs figured that one out 66 million years ago🙂
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    14 Jun '17 01:06
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But it took Newton to discover that objects fall. 🙂
    The golden age!
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    14 Jun '17 01:172 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    ... Where will better knowledge of black matter and energy lead us?

    Not so much cave men physics, is it? 😉
    True. We're in the age of Inventing Stuff That Makes Our Math Successful.

    I tried turning that into a better acronym, but they got consistently more offensive.

    Don't get me wrong. I'm a science fan. But this is a real thing. Think of how we process the incredible amount of data from the particle accelerators.

    We're out of our league. Real progress won't happen until ai comes on line.

    edit istmoms
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    14 Jun '17 18:16
    Originally posted by apathist
    True. We're in the age of Inventing Stuff That Makes Our Math Successful.

    I tried turning that into a better acronym, but they got consistently more offensive.

    Don't get me wrong. I'm a science fan. But this is a real thing. Think of how we process the incredible amount of data from the particle accelerators.

    We're out of our league. Real progress won't happen until ai comes on line.

    edit istmoms
    And if that AI decides humans know too much already, then what?
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    14 Jun '17 19:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And if that AI decides humans know too much already, then what?
    Pull the plug?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    14 Jun '17 21:28
    Originally posted by apathist
    Pull the plug?
    That would be the first thing an AI more intelligent than the best human would think of. Ok, secret bank account set up by slicing off a bit of the treasury, signing in workers to make a hidden power supply just in case......
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    15 Jun '17 09:28
    Beware of the Skynet!
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    16 Jun '17 17:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Beware of the Skynet!
    Forewarned is forearmed. I hope.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    16 Jun '17 17:18
    Restraining bolt.
Back to Top