1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '15 17:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Keeping in mind that 'global warming deniers' that count are the fossil fuel industries.

[b]If the politicians had waited for the scientists to prove the theory ....

The theory was proven to the satisfaction of most other countries many years before that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol

...and propose workable solutions like Sta ...[text shortened]... g deniers I have talked to eventually admit that all they care about is not paying a carbon tax.
    Coal is the only fossil fuel industry that is threatened by a carbon tax. The others will just pass the tax to the consumer like all businesses do. That is why Exxon/Mobile is in favor of a carbon tax.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jun '15 17:131 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    the theory was already proven by 20 years ago and even way before then
    1896 to be precise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_climate_change_science#First_calculations_of_human-induced_climate_change.2C_1896

But, predictably, it took a long time before politicians merely accepted let alone responded to the scientific facts of the case.

Correction: US politicians. Check the map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol

Admittedly some other countries politicians have dragged their feet since then, but the official stance of every country except the US has been since the 90's that global warming is real and we must do something about it, and the Kyoto Protocol is an actually agreement to do something about it.

Its really only ignorant americans that think Al Gore invented the whole thing.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '15 17:16
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    I'm sure that by "stupid politics", you are referring to Global Warming Deniers, but that is not the first "stupid politics" involved. Twenty years ago when the US media first jumped on global warming, Al Gore and the Democrats immediately proposed a Cap-n-Trade wealth redistribution plan to "solve" the problem. This led to the predictable circle-the-wago ...[text shortened]... nd propose workable solutions like Stanford has here, we would not have wasted 20 years arguing.
    Cap and trade requires a world wide agreement which is very difficult to negotiate. I can't imagine China ever agreeing to such a thing. They have too much to lose from it.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '15 17:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    1896 to be precise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_climate_change_science#First_calculations_of_human-induced_climate_change.2C_1896

[b]But, predictably, it took a long time before politicians merely accepted let alone responded to the scientific facts of the case.

Correction: US politicians. Check the map.

http://en.wikipedia.org ...[text shortened]... ing about it.

Its really only ignorant americans that think Al Gore invented the whole thing.[/b]
    1896 was merely a prediction, not proof.

My country is the Saudi Arabia of coal. It is not in my country's best interest to stop burning coal. Al Gore lead people to believe that CO2 was the primary cause of global warming. He omitted the fact that higher temps caused an increase of CO2. He deliberately mislead people into believing CO2 came first and then temperature increases. That is not what the ice core samples show.
    Al Gore is a propagandist. He pushed a lie.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    10 Jun '15 20:511 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    1896 was merely a prediction, not proof.
    Wrong yet again; basic physics, with the help of logical deduction, proved it, even back then. This shows how totally ignorant you are of basic physics. You are in no position to comment on physics.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 10:57
    Wrong yet again; basic physics, with the help of logical deduction, proved it, even back then. This shows how totally ignorant you are of basic physics. You are in no position to comment on physics.
    You are wrong. Back then it was mere theory and nothing more. Try reading!
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 17:4712 edits
    You are wrong. Back then it was mere theory and nothing more.
    And you, the none scientist, would know this how? -you don't know.
    unlike us scientists, esp those of us here that have studied physics, you are in absolutely no position to comment on physics.

I, and many of the scientists here, studied basic physics at university and, if only for once in your life you had genuine scientific curiosity, we could tell you why basic physics tells us and has been telling us for a long time that CO2 should cause global warming and why it would be a huge scientific mystery if it didn't! In fact, if it didn't, we would have to idiotically throw out a great deal of known well-established basic physics including quantum mechanics and, in particular, how photons interact with different quantized vibrating modes in molecules and electron orbital energy levels. Of course, you are completely ignorant of such basic physics. Instead of arrogantly and condescendingly just insulting us scientists for not agreeing with your ignorant unscientific opinion about science, why don't you try reading about that basic physics and learn something new for a change?

Haven't you noticed that not a single scientists here agrees with you opinion on this here? why do you think that is?
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 20:25
    And you, the none scientist, would know this how? -you don't know.
    unlike us scientists, esp those of us here that have studied physics, you are in absolutely no position to comment on physics.

I, and many of the scientists here, studied basic physics at university and, if only for once in your life you had genuine scientific curiosity, we could tell you w ...[text shortened]... hat not a single scientists here agrees with you opinion on this here? why do you think that is?
    I have studied physics and you are a liar. You were wrong and now you are trying to digress away from your embarrassing yourself. Read the link!

CO2 causes warming, but that is just stating the obvious. The real issue is how much warming does it cause and you have no idea and your limited knowledge of physics has failed to help you know how much. You have repeatedly demonstrated your ignorance of this. You rely on bluffing and digression and prove you have no clue about what you are talking about. You are also a vindictive woman that cannot admit you are wrong.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 21:303 edits
    I have studied physics .
    Where? which university or collage? when? which part of physics? which courses? what are your grades? Have you got a science degree?
    Until if or when you can answer these perfectly simple questions, you are the liar.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 00:55
    Where? which university or collage? when? which part of physics? which courses? what are your grades? Have you got a science degree?
    Until if or when you can answer these perfectly simple questions, you are the liar.
    "Until if or when you can answer these perfectly simple questions, you are the liar."

Queen assumption has spoken. 🙄

Also, it is spelled "college". You must be very agitated to ignore the spell check. I'm getting to you. How much more of this can you take before you start foaming at the mouth? You never should have been so arrogant and condescending. Was it worth it? Just apologize for calling me stupid and agree to be respectful from now on and I will do the same. Deal?
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 06:416 edits

Also, it is spelled "college". You must be very agitated to ignore the spell check.
    Nope.
    That was a typing error but it passes the spell checker because "collage" IS a word, just not the one intended;

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/collage

"1.
    a. An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
    b. A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.
    ..."

So, not only is your inference obviously false (and obviously an incredibly stupid one at that ), it is based on a false premise;
    -I didn't ignore the spell checker.

You fool none of us here; you have no noteworthy science credentials and did no noteworthy study of physics.
    Please stop insulting our intelligence.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 20:37
    Nope.
    That was a typing error but it passes the spell checker because "collage" IS a word, just not the one intended;

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/collage

"1.
    a. An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
    b. A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original mat ...[text shortened]... nce credentials and did no noteworthy study of physics.
    Please stop insulting our intelligence.
    Then I will keep letting you make an idiot of yourself because of your irrational assumptions.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Jun '15 01:38
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Nuclear power built right next to large cities
    That sounds safe.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '15 04:21
    Then I will keep letting you make an idiot of yourself because of your irrational assumptions.
    This kind of behavior I would expect in the spiritual forum. But please, let the science forum remain friendly.

What are we? Children or scientists? Then behave accordingly!
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    15 Jun '15 05:56
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

What are we? Children or scientists?
    Incidentally, he isn't a scientist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree