Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Jun '10 18:14
    Inside Plato's works are hidden codes that he put in to hide his real philosophy and political leanings which would have gotten him killed if the authorities of the time had found out. They were coded as a time capsule, a gift to the future for someone to unravel. That has been done now, or at least a solid beginning of such:

    http://www.physorg.com/news196943667.html
  2. 29 Jun '10 00:47
    da Vinci code

    (barf)
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    29 Jun '10 02:51
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    da Vinci code

    (barf)
    You got me con vinced
  4. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    29 Jun '10 06:39
    Maybe there was an esoteric structure that was forgotten. All the same, Plato says quite a lot even when not speaking in code.

    I'd bet the 'code' doesn't contain the 'key' to Plato's writing but enriches its form, much like the geometrical puzzles in those Renaissance paintings.

    As it happens, Plato managed to get into political trouble whether he used a code or not.
  5. 29 Jun '10 07:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Inside Plato's works are hidden codes that he put in to hide his real philosophy and political leanings which would have gotten him killed if the authorities of the time had found out. They were coded as a time capsule, a gift to the future for someone to unravel. That has been done now, or at least a solid beginning of such:

    http://www.physorg.com/news196943667.html
    The linked article makes all sorts of ridiculous claims such as:

    This could transform today's culture wars between science and religion.

    This will transform the early history of Western thought, and especially the histories of ancient science, mathematics, music, and philosophy.

    He shifted humanity from a warrior society to a wisdom society.

    and suggests that Plato needed to hide his views, yet justifies this by pointing out that his views as expressed in his unencoded writings were dangerous.

    It also doesn't actually say anything about what is contained in these supposedly hidden codes, nor who they were intended for in the first place.
  6. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    29 Jun '10 10:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Inside Plato's works are hidden codes that he put in to hide his real philosophy and political leanings which would have gotten him killed if the authorities of the time had found out. They were coded as a time capsule, a gift to the future for someone to unravel. That has been done now, or at least a solid beginning of such:

    http://www.physorg.com/news196943667.html
    He adds: "This is the beginning of something big. It will take a generation to work out the implications. All 2,000 pages contain undetected symbols."

    Similar to my own discovery of the secret codes within Stephen Hawkings work .. unfortunately it will take a generation to unravel ... stay tuned!
  7. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    29 Jun '10 10:29
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    He adds: "This is the beginning of something big. It will take a generation to work out the implications. All 2,000 pages contain undetected symbols."

    Similar to my own discovery of the secret codes within Stephen Hawkings work .. unfortunately it will take a generation to unravel ... stay tuned!
    Ah!

    Sometimes scientific journalism makes me cry!
  8. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    29 Jun '10 10:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    He adds: "This is the beginning of something big. It will take a generation to work out the implications. All 2,000 pages contain undetected symbols."

    Similar to my own discovery of the secret codes within Stephen Hawkings work .. unfortunately it will take a generation to unravel ... stay tuned!
    Kim Jong Il could work it out over a round of golf.
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    01 Jul '10 15:35
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Kim Jong Il could work it out over a round of golf.
    Chuck Norris could decode it while halfway to moving his fist to that giant block of ice....
  10. 14 Jul '10 21:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The linked article makes all sorts of ridiculous claims such as:

    This could transform today's culture wars between science and religion.

    This will transform the early history of Western thought, and especially the histories of ancient science, mathematics, music, and philosophy.

    [i]He shifted humanity from a warrior society to a wis contained in these supposedly hidden codes, nor who they were intended for in the first place.
    "He shifted humanity from a warrior society to a wisdom society. "

    To be clear, I have my reservations about this "coding" business....

    ...But, I object to you saying that this particular claim is ridiculous. Alot of people have made this claim in some form or another -- usually much more cautiously.

    In Twilight of the Idols, for instance, Nietzsche says that, with the dialectic, Socrates "created a new agon." I don't think that it's inaccurate to say that Socrates and Plato marked an important transition away from an age when Homeric heroes represented the ideal role model for public life.
  11. 14 Jul '10 21:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Inside Plato's works are hidden codes that he put in to hide his real philosophy and political leanings which would have gotten him killed if the authorities of the time had found out. They were coded as a time capsule, a gift to the future for someone to unravel. That has been done now, or at least a solid beginning of such:

    Here's the full text of the essay featured in Apeiron.

    http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/jay.kennedy/Kennedy_Apeiron_proofs.pdf
  12. 15 Jul '10 05:05
    Originally posted by mrj0hn50n
    ...But, I object to you saying that this particular claim is ridiculous. Alot of people have made this claim in some form or another -- usually much more cautiously.

    In Twilight of the Idols, for instance, Nietzsche says that, with the dialectic, Socrates "created a new agon." I don't think that it's inaccurate to say that Socrates and Plato marked an ...[text shortened]... ition away from an age when Homeric heroes represented the ideal role model for public life.
    If it was said more cautiously it might have a chance, but as is, it is a ridiculous claim. It implies the whole world is a society that was totally transformed by Plato. Utter nonsense.

    I doubt either Socrates or Plato had much effect outside their own country for quite a while at least, and I doubt they can single handedly claim responsibility for a cultural change.