Playing games for science

Playing games for science

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
22d

So here (I think nature has no paywall): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41587-024-02175-6

Authors report on how they made vast progress using a minigame within a popular video game to get high numbers of data oints by game-playing people.
This is citizen science at its best, when people help science without even knowing and no expertise required.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19d

@Ponderable
What are they trying to show?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
2d 13h

@sonhouse
BLS crowdsources a multiple alignment task of 1 million 16S ribosomal RNA sequences obtained from human microbiome studies.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
2d 9h

@Ponderable
Wouldn't that mean to get correlation data they would have to have DNA samples from the players as well as the game data?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
2d 6h

@sonhouse said
@Ponderable
Wouldn't that mean to get correlation data they would have to have DNA samples from the players as well as the game data?
No they obtain snippets of RNA and then they match what they have and try to reconstruct the original.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
2d 1h
1 edit

@Ponderable
Snippets of RNA from a million people? How do they do that? Snippets from other folks not in the study?
Oh, I get it now, it helps to actually read the article🙂 So the game is to put the snippets together by the game, now it makes sense. Kind of like having supercomputers on the cheap, eh.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
1d 18h

@sonhouse

No millions of people get tasks for reconstruction snippets of a single sample.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
1d 4h

@Ponderable
Wow, I didn't know it was that hard a problem. So how does that work, they get detailed images of the chemical formulas involved or what?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
18h 18m

@sonhouse said
@Ponderable
Wow, I didn't know it was that hard a problem. So how does that work, they get detailed images of the chemical formulas involved or what?
So you have four letters which form a sequence. If you have several RNA-strands a few hundred bases long and snippets of some dozen bases long it is very difficult. Y
ou need at least four to six matching letters on each end to reasonably assume that they fit. (It is more easy if you know start and end codons, but now we go into details.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12h 1m

@Ponderable
A huge job for sure. Wonder if and when quantum comps get real if that would do the job, and what about the top supercomps, now in the Exaflop region.