1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 15:38
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-10-portal-cognitive-skills-lumosity.html#nRlv

Must be a kick in the butt to those Lumosity folks.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 15:29
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-10-portal-cognitive-skills-lumosity.html#nRlv

Must be a kick in the butt to those Lumosity folks.
    Not really. The study was done on 77 undergrads, so it's hardly significant and in any case not entirely relevant to Lumosity's main clientele. It's more a high-fiver for Portal than a kick for Lumosity.
    Still, I'm not surprised; it's been suggested before that games you play for your own enjoyment work better than intentional brain training. I suppose the relaxation factor helps.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 18:421 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Not really. The study was done on 77 undergrads, so it's hardly significant and in any case not entirely relevant to Lumosity's main clientele. It's more a high-fiver for Portal than a kick for Lumosity.
    Still, I'm not surprised; it's been suggested before that games you play for your own enjoyment work better than intentional brain training. I suppose the relaxation factor helps.
    Independent studies have also shown Lumosity training and others like it, get you better at the exact task you are training for but as far as a general increase in abstract reasoning power or creativity and such, there is no increase. You get a lot better at doing the job called out on the screen, whatever that is, counting stuff, moving things around, pattern recognition and so forth but nothing gets better in real life, except maybe you FEEL better like after a weight lifting workout.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree