1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jan '20 18:22
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-01-lithium-halt-alzheimer-disease.html

micro doses of lithium. We'll see. My brother in law has 2nd stage Alzheimers and we are looking for anything that can help.
    A sad end for my brother in law, a retired colonel.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '20 20:193 edits
    Who gave a thumbs down for this sonhouse's OP and, MUCH more importantly, why?
    What could anyone possibly see as wrong with this OP? I simply cannot imagine.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jan '20 23:521 edit
    @humy
    Some assswipe who doesn't like me, probably Moot the hoot.

Just got word my brother in law got worse, stopped breathing and they sent him full time to rehab home. I also found out what may have driven him over the edge, his ex wife committed suicide new years day. Jesus what a goat fuk.
  4. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 00:271 edit
    Alzheimers, as well as cancer and diabetes is big business, making lots of money for a certain few, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. I've seen this story repeat time after time.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 01:42
    @bunnyknight
    One study seems to point to a gum disease finding its way into the brain they say may be one cause of Alzheimers. Apparently the tangles of the amyloids were treated to reduce them with no effect on the progression of the disease. So those tangles and such seem to be an effect not a cause.
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 02:211 edit
    @sonhouse
    If a safe and affordable cure were to truly be found, the biggest challenge would be to get it past the iron fist of the FDA, which has a conflict of interest with big pharma, and is a total monopoly.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 14:23
    @bunnyknight
    The present treatments are extremely expensive and I suppose there could be some political pressure to not allow a cheap and effective treatment to be established but I think that would not work for long. Especially if we get a real person as POTUS next year.
  8. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 18:34
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    The present treatments are extremely expensive and I suppose there could be some political pressure to not allow a cheap and effective treatment to be established but I think that would not work for long. Especially if we get a real person as POTUS next year.
    Every treatment is as expensive as they can possibly get away with; it's the nature and law of corporate business-for-profit. And what's worse, they are all defined as "treatments" not "cures", which is a legal loophole to avoid lawsuits. Under the present system the perfect patient is one that's permanently sick, requiring endless, expensive treatment. It would take far more than a good POTUS to remedy the nightmare situation that's taken hold.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 15:55
    @bunnyknight
    Yes but a bad one can cause big pharm to realize they won't have push back when they quadruple the price of a med and therefore the new price sticks.
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 03:50
    @bunnyknight said
    Every treatment is as expensive as they can possibly get away with; it's the nature and law of corporate business-for-profit. And what's worse, they are all defined as "treatments" not "cures", which is a legal loophole to avoid lawsuits. Under the present system the perfect patient is one that's permanently sick, requiring endless, expensive treatment. It would take far more than a good POTUS to remedy the nightmare situation that's taken hold.
    Also, pharmaceutical companies argue that they spend a lot in research to justify the expense, but in reality they have gutted their R&D and mostly rely on government-funded basic science to generate drug compounds. Then they buy the patent and charge $10k/month for the treatment. I think gov'ts should be able to recoup their investment from pharma and use this to bring down costs.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 06:02
    @wildgrass
    At the very least.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree