1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 19:41
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-09-aids-vaccine-candidate-virus-body.html
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 13:17
    Originally posted by humy
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-09-aids-vaccine-candidate-virus-body.html
    Assuming this vaccine works, don't you still have to rebuilt the immune system? Blood cells and so forth?
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 17:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Assuming this vaccine works, don't you still have to rebuilt the immune system? Blood cells and so forth?
    If I recall correctly, and please will someone correct me if i am wrong, when AIDS patients with a low white blood cell count first gets medicated with multiple drags against AIDS, their white blood cell count gradually goes back to a normal value (until the AIDS virus eventually and inevitably becomes resistant to all the drags given and then kills the patient ). So, judging from that, if the vaccine works then I assume the white blood cell would also go back up to normal so, therefore, I assume, no, you don't have to rebuilt the immune system -but I could be wrong because I am no expert on this.
  4. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 04:01
    Originally posted by humy
    If I recall correctly, and please will someone correct me if i am wrong, when AIDS patients with a low white blood cell count first gets medicated with multiple drags against AIDS, their white blood cell count gradually goes back to a normal value (until the AIDS virus eventually and inevitably becomes resistant to all the drags given and then kills the patient ...[text shortened]... u don't have to rebuilt the immune system -but I could be wrong because I am no expert on this.
    I mentioned this previously, but again, my own personal T-cell or cd4 count dropped to 25 in 2007. I tested positive for the HIV virus in 1988 or '89. At the time I thought I had five years max. AIDS was considered to be < 500 count back then, now it's <200 I think. Only AZT was available back then.

I began a cocktail of drugs in 2007 but they made me so sick I gave up on them. I have used in various combinations Norvir, Reyataz, Truvada, and Combivir. All worked well and got me back over 500 (low normal range). Last year I began a one pill regimen of Atripla and it works well too. No side effects. I haven't had lab work done in a year or so but my last results were good...near 700 cd4.

As I understand it, resistance builds when you miss daily dosages. The more you miss, the more resistance. Unfortunately I do forget sometimes, despite having a pill box.

I did intentionally stop it for awhile in 2009 but somehow my cd4 count still went up. I can only credit my daily 6-mile walks for that. I can't explain it any other way.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 06:031 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    I mentioned this previously, but again, my own personal T-cell or cd4 count dropped to 25 in 2007. I tested positive for the HIV virus in 1988 or '89. At the time I thought I had five years max. AIDS was considered to be < 500 count back then, now it's <200 I think. Only AZT was available back then.

I began a cocktail of drugs in 2007 but they made m went up. I can only credit my daily 6-mile walks for that. I can't explain it any other way.
    Good luck!
    I just hope this vaccine in the OP doesn't prove to be yet another disappointment and is developed in time to save you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree