1. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 22:06
    I don't think that anybody expects it to have much of a use right now. Five or ten years down the line, though, I can imagine a small and fuel-efficient version of this being widely used.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 14:311 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My initial thought was that it would be useful for rescue operations but its lack of carrying capacity means I cant really think of many situations where it would be much use. For example you could not get an injured person off an inaccessible site (mountain / burning building) , you could not pour water on a fire, you probably couldn't even rescue a kit ...[text shortened]... a tree.
    I guess you might be able to get a doctor to an inaccessible site, but thats about it.
    I expect there will be more powerful versions. If 200 Hp can lift 120 odd Kg, it seems likely a 400 hp version could lift 240 Kg. It would get interesting at that point.
    Like the guy says, 6 miles per gallon is not exactly a solution for commuters.
    If my analysis is right, and with 100% efficiency you could get off the ground like that with 15 hp, maybe there is room for improvement in the propellers or something.
    As it stands, if it can carry 260 pounds, if you weigh 160, you should be able to carry 100 pounds and still fly so maybe it could be used for rescue of children.

How bout flying football? That would be a gas, wouldn't it! Think of the tactics, 3D now! Kind of like Harry Potter, eh.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 04:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Jetpack infantry...
    Starship Troopers
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 04:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    He has to be towed into the air by a plane and cannot hover. That's more of a jet assisted glider pack than a jetpack.
    he should strap on a JATO unit.
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 04:50
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Yves+Rossy&search_type=&aq=f

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree