1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 07:225 edits
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I don't care about rich snobs who live on oceanfront property. They probably have more than one home anyway. Why should I care?
    No, it is not just "oceanfront property" we are talking about here. Why would a sea level rise discriminate between "oceanfront property" and property that is at the same current level above sea level but not not "oceanfront" but same distance away further back from the coast? Don't you understand the physics of how gravity and water level works? Do you really think that if the sea rises above the current level of a large area of coastal land extending miles away from the coast inland, it will still only flow to "coastal properties" and then break the law of gravity by stopping just there by not leveling out so to flood any further inland? It would not just be the property 50 feet from the coast that will go under water!

Most of the largest cities of the world are coastal and close to sea level and will go underwater in the worse case scenario if ( and it is a big 'if' ) we stupidly let things get TOTALLY out of hand. Are they all full of rich snobs? I guess there are bound to some rich snobs in every city as everywhere -and loads more of the poor. So what about the poor?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 07:34
    Think New Orleans in cities like New York and London.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 11:53
    Originally posted by humy
    No, it is not just "oceanfront property" we are talking about here. Why would a sea level rise discriminate between "oceanfront property" and property that is at the same current level above sea level but not not "oceanfront" but same distance away further back from the coast? Don't you understand the physics of how gravity and water level works? Do you really ...[text shortened]... some rich snobs in every city as everywhere -and loads more of the poor. So what about the poor?
    That will not happen in my lifetime or yours. Why do you pretend that it will be some sort of disaster and it will happen soon? People will adapt and do fine. Get over it.
    BTW, I live in northern Michigan. That is the least of my worries. Even if your doomsday scenario were to happen I would be unaffected. Also, poor people can move too, as they often do not own homes. It is often the rich snobs who rent to them. Cry me a river.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 12:06
    That will not happen in my lifetime or yours. Why do you pretend that it will be some sort of disaster and it will happen soon? People will adapt and do fine. Get over it.
    BTW, I live in northern Michigan. That is the least of my worries. Even if your doomsday scenario were to happen I would be unaffected. Also, poor people can move too, as they often do not own homes. It is often the rich snobs who rent to them. Cry me a river.
    Well, you credibility just went down the toilet. You are part of the problem.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The alternative is a lot worse than practicality for a nation.
    I can't imagine anything worse than liberal Democrats being in complete control of the nation.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:52
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I can't imagine anything worse than liberal Democrats being in complete control of the nation.
    Of course you can't, since you are a TCM.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 14:419 edits
    That will not happen in my lifetime or yours.

Yes, I know ( obviously ) that sort of sea level rise will not happen in our life times. The main reason for us preventing it would be for compassion for future generations although there will be some other more immediate harmful warming-effects that we are already experiencing -the resent floods we have had here in much of England being just a small test of that.
    Why do you pretend that it will be some sort of disaster ...

what? Whole cities going under water displacing millions of people from around a world is not a disaster?
    and it will happen soon?

Where did I say it will happen “soon”. Obviously, it will be future generations that will pay most ( not all ) of the price and I am NOT “pretending” otherwise.
    People will adapt and do fine.

why should they be made to have to when the disaster can be averted?
    Is your implied inference here that ability to adapt to a disaster is a reason to approve letting it happen? -because it sure sounds like this is what you are implying to me here!
    BTW, I live in northern Michigan. That is the least of my worries. Even if your doomsday scenario were to happen I would be unaffected.

So, as long as it doesn't harm you personally, to the hell of everyone else? -doesn't matter if it harms someone else?
    Is that the extent of your morality? If so, people like you are the cause of the problem.
    Also, poor people can move too, as they often do not own homes.

Poor people will find it harder to buy new homes -especially if there is few left to buy. It is questionable if it is economically feasible to build whole cities from scratch at higher altitudes in a, say, ~90 year period and while more and more land is being flooded with dwelling agricultural land to feed the population and more droughts etc...looks like this would be a tough one. Of course, in the long run, it would actually be cheaper to prevent the disaster happening in the first place so we don't NEED to build whole cities elsewhere. The short term cost of doing that is going down all the time and is already economical -it is only politics and stupidity that is in the way.
    It is often the rich snobs who rent to them.

that would make no difference if there isn't enough homes for everyone -it will be the poor that will be left homeless.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 16:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Of course you can't, since you are a TCM.
    Right, I am a Totally Complete Male (TCM) and also ...

The Near Genius (TNG)
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 17:15
    Take a look at this:

A study of water levels in Manhattan, long term study:

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-odds-storm-manhattan-seawall-fold.html
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 17:15

Yes, I know ( obviously ) that sort of sea level rise will not happen in our life times. The main reason for us preventing it would be for compassion for future generations although there will be some other more immediate harmful warming-effects that we are already experiencing -the resent flo ...[text shortened]... erence if there isn't enough homes for everyone -it will be the poor that will be left homeless.
    two spelling errors: that should have been:

"... -the resent floods we have had here in much of England being just a small taste of that. ..."

and

"... ~90 year period and while more and more land is being flooded with dwindling agricultural land to feed the population ..."
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 01:24
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Are you saying that for every nutcase lefty out there, there's not the corresponding rightie?
    I've never done the bean-counting. That could make for a worthy thesis topic by some sociology or psychology major, I suppose.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 07:36

Yes, I know ( obviously ) that sort of sea level rise will not happen in our life times. The main reason for us preventing it would be for compassion for future generations although there will be some other more immediate harmful warming-effects that we are already experiencing -the resent flo ...[text shortened]... erence if there isn't enough homes for everyone -it will be the poor that will be left homeless.
    People will adapt and do fine. People will have decades to prepare and move to higher altitudes if needed.
    There will be no shortage of homes like you imply. You acknowledge this is long term but you think like it is short term. There is no point in reminding you of logic. You simply discard it to fit your political ideology.

Good luck with your scare tactics. Most people will see them for what they are and scoff at you. Anybody can make the decision to avoid oceanfront property even though Al Gore has not. He is not worried for a reason, he knows his children will be living there long after he is dead. Al Gore knows he is spreading false information to promote a tax. You have been duped.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 09:493 edits
    People will adapt and do fine. People will have decades to prepare and move to higher altitudes if needed.
    There will be no shortage of homes like you imply. You acknowledge this is long term but you think like it is short term. There is no point in reminding you of logic. You simply discard it to fit your political ideology.

Good luck with your scar ...[text shortened]... is dead. Al Gore knows he is spreading false information to promote a tax. You have been duped.

So, rather than take cost-effective action ( and there is now such technologically available cost-effective action that we can choose ) of preventing that sea level rise, are you saying here it would be better to let that sea level rise and “ move to higher altitudes”? If so, ...Err, that is a bad stupid plan! It probably cost humanity less in the long run to prevent such sea level rise. Why are you so against preventing such see level rise so that we do NOT have to drastically “move to higher altitudes”? Even if we can adapt and house everyone at higher altitudes, it would STILL obviously be far better if we didn't have to and future generations would be economically better off if they can stay where they are now without being forced to move home because of sea level rise.

The rest of your post is just stupid straw man nonsense -a sure sign you have lost the argument -I didn't even mention “Al Gore “ and he has absolutely nothing to do with why I think what I do - science is the actual reason.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 11:01

Good luck with your scar ...[text shortened]... is dead. Al Gore knows he is spreading false information to promote a tax. You have been duped.
    Here is one NASA report of what is happening as we speak:

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/14200/20140424/less-green-nasa-finds-congo-rainforest-turns-brown-as-a-result-of-climate-change-video.htm
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 11:38
    Preventing catastrophic climate change is [much] cheaper than not preventing it.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/apr/22/preventing-global-warming-cheaper-than-adapting

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree