1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 09:59
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I heard about it too !! There is an unsubstantiated rumor that a television series is planned very soon. πŸ˜‰
    I'm sure it's just rumors, but it would be awesome as a tv-series. πŸ˜€
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 19:433 edits
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Yes, for once whodey is correct. It was discovered in the pegasus galaxy, and brought here to earth. Turns out it was here originally, and that it's a spaceship, but its technology is so far beyond us, it's all a mystery really. I saw this documentary about it a while back. πŸ™„

Apparently it's got some kind of cloaking ability, so you can't see it, but it's ...[text shortened]... antis, the city (!) that travels (!) through space (!) at incredible speeds! I mean, come on! 😲
    Funny, I don't recall on saying anything about aliens.

Again, people assume that alien life forms influenced ancient man because of their preconceived notion of superiority over them.

To think they had two brain cells to rub together in order to build such things as the pyramids in Egypt by themselves is just incomprehensible to many.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    03 Sep '15 01:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    Funny, I don't recall on saying anything about aliens.

Again, people assume that alien life forms influenced ancient man because of their preconceived notion of superiority over them.

To think they had two brain cells to rub together in order to build such things as the pyramids in Egypt by themselves is just incomprehensible to many.
    The fable of Atlantis was derived from the remnants of the Minoan culture. Once again, read your history.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Sep '15 05:48
    It is believed that the pyramid builders hadn't even invented wheels.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Sep '15 15:51
    previous ancient civilizations, like Atlantis
    Are you really that ignorant, Whodey?

Atlantis never existed. There aren't even any ancient myths about Atlantis. The entire Atlantis story was made up out of whole cloth, as a rhetorical example, an allegory, by Plato. Before him, there was no Atlantis story; and in his writing, it is clearly just that: a story, written to make a point, not presented as true.

If you really do believe that there was a previous ancient civilisation of Atlantis, you have no business whatsoever discussing "ancient mysteries" - or those of the Bible, which it contradicts!
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Sep '15 15:58
    The fable of Atlantis was derived from the remnants of the Minoan culture. Once again, read your history.
    No, it was derived from the writings of Plato, who first used the name, and only used it as a rhetorical device. It is quite possible that he got his inspiration from pre-existing tales of the destruction of a once-great civilisation, but there is no real evidence for this, and he ain't telling any more; in any case, he changed all the details, and the Atlantis myth as currently so beloved by kooks everywhere is derived from his story, not from Minoan folk memory.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Sep '15 02:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is believed that the pyramid builders hadn't even invented wheels.
    It's the axle that's the tricky bit, along with mounting it so it can turn without excessive wear but doesn't snap, wheels are obvious just roll something over some logs and you get the same effect. Bear in mind they had stone age tools to make their machines with. I doubt that the first pyramids could be built without the capacity to make axles existing and that's the real engineering limitation.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '15 07:40
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I doubt that the first pyramids could be built without the capacity to make axles existing and that's the real engineering limitation.
    But they were built without the capacity to make axles existing.
    It is even likely that they didn't even use the technique of rolling the stones on logs (proto wheel). The stones were moved by boat and by dragging them across wet sand.

The real skills demonstrated in the building of the pyramids is personnel organisation. The engineering skills were not that impressive compared to that.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '15 22:15
    There have been other assumed fables, such as the existence of the Philistenes in the Bible. Then they went digging and discovered them.

It very well may be made up, but I would not count on that. Always remember, all lies have roots in truth. It's like the story of the Great Flood from the Sumarian and Hebrew traditions. Both speak of the Great Flood, even though their accounts differ. All that can be known is that there must have been a Great Flood, otherwise, how would they even know what a flood was?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '15 08:35
    It very well may be made up, but I would not count on that. Always remember, all lies have roots in truth
    I take it you are still holding out for the day we discover hobbits and elves then?

All that can be known is that there must have been a Great Flood, otherwise, how would they even know what a flood was?
    Floods are pretty common and most people know what they are. That doesn't mean that there must have been a ' Great Flood'.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Sep '15 23:05
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I take it you are still holding out for the day we discover hobbits and elves then?

[b]All that can be known is that there must have been a Great Flood, otherwise, how would they even know what a flood was?

Floods are pretty common and most people know what they are. That doesn't mean that there must have been a ' Great Flood'.[/b]
    If you saw the floods in Bangladesh and it was 3000 years ago, you would have thought the whole world was flooded too. You are in the middle of hundreds of square miles of flooded areas, you could make that assumption. They could even have written about it as a world wide flood but that wouldn't make it so.

The only way to have proven that would have been to have satellites in orbit back when the so-called world wide flood happened to show just exactly how many square miles were involved.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '15 13:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If you saw the floods in Bangladesh and it was 3000 years ago, you would have thought the whole world was flooded too. You are in the middle of hundreds of square miles of flooded areas, you could make that assumption. They could even have written about it as a world wide flood but that wouldn't make it so.

The only way to have proven that would have be ...[text shortened]... he so-called world wide flood happened to show just exactly how many square miles were involved.
    To even know what a flood is would mean you would have actually had to witness a flood.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Sep '15 16:341 edit
    To even know what a flood is would mean you would have actually had to witness a flood.
    That goes without saying. There have been thousands of floods but nothing like one that covered the whole Earth, at least while humans OR dinosaurs were around, There was a period called the 'Snowball Earth" where most of the planet WAS covered with water but it wasn't liquid, it was ice and that was about 700 million years ago and it lasted so I hear, at least 100 million years!

Here is a Wiki about it if you are interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_Earth

People from thousands of years ago generally stayed within a couple hundred miles of home, wherever that is, and if the land as far as you can see is now underwater in a flood you might think it was the whole world and I imagine that is exactly how the WW flood myth got started, makes a good scary story to keep people in line, See, there was this flood and the whole Earth was flooded except Noah and his family, god was ROYALLY pisssed and killed ALL the land animals, and ALL the people except for Noah and company and the two by two that flooded on board, so to speak and if you are not good, god could get REALLY pisssed again and do it all over again.

Sure, that story could scare the crap out of primitive people. The hard part for me to understand is how anyone in century 21 OR 20 could fall for that tale,
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Sep '15 16:417 edits
    In any time period where humans existed, ancient or not, it is not at all unusual or rare for someone to have witnessed a flood.
    For example, after a massive storm, I personally have once directly witnessed a flood that I got caught up in and I wasn't even living in a flood-prone area at the time. It would have been no more unusual for there to be a flood for ancient people to witness back then than it is for there to be a flood for modern people to witness today. It is obvious that a great many if not most ancient people would have witnessed floods at least at some time during their lives and thus would have known perfectly well what they are. That doesn't in anyway imply they must have or could have witnessed a 'great' flood i.e. global flood. And that is not even to mention that a global flood during ancient times, just like it is in modem times, is physically totally absurd and for several reason. Just one of those reasons is that it would require the total mass of H2O in the biosphere to magically increase by vast amounts. Assuming vast amounts of one chemical element didn't suddenly magically change into another in a massive nuclear fireball that would have blown the whole Earth apart, wouldn't that not break the conservation of mass law of physics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_mass
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Sep '15 09:21
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    No, it was derived from the writings of Plato, who first used the name, and only used it as a rhetorical device. It is quite possible that he got his inspiration from pre-existing tales of the destruction of a once-great civilisation, but there is no real evidence for this, and he ain't telling any more; in any case, he changed all the details, a ...[text shortened]... currently so beloved by kooks everywhere is derived from his story, not from Minoan folk memory.
    Plato was referring to the explosion of the volcano Santorini in ca 1450 BC which destroyed a thriving civilization there. The meaning of the word which has been translated "Atlantis" has changed over the millennia; it did not mean to Plato the ocean which separates Europe from the Americas.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree